Chloe's Reviews > The Eternal Ones

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Recommended for: chick lit fans, people looking for a beach read or a low brow valentine's day read
Read from February 07 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I've had this book since the summer, and it was one of those that was going to be really good or really not good. Unfortunately, it was disappointing. The premise was sort of promising, and it did have potential to be a fun, romantic novel, but it fell short. First, the main character was an idiot. I wanted to shake her the entire time I was reading. Her failure to ask questions just didn't make sense, and I didn't believe her. I just didn't believe she could be real. And then there was the romantic interest Ethan/Iain, who you're supposed to be in love with, but I just didn't see it. He was a giant cliche, and while you were clearly supposed to doubt his love for Haven as she did, it didn't actually work. The ending was just bizarre and it totally didn't make sense. The end felt like Miller forgot to give us a whole bunch of information, so she just threw everything in at the last minute.

I could deal with all the religious themes, but it felt sort of like the imagery was beating you over the head after a while. I got sick of it, and I ended up feeling alienated from the characters because the religion in their life didn't feel real. I like the idea of religion being both an antagonistic force in some cases and a healing force in others, but it wasn't executed well enough to make it not feel like a lecture.

Miller had a nice writing style, and she had some really brilliant, creative moments of description that gave me hope, but in the end, I just felt sort of "meh" about this whole book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Ones.

02/07/2011 page 119