Isamlq's Reviews > The Luxe

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

Feb 10, 11

Read on February 09, 2011

I probably should have taken down notes as I read. There are so many characters who were all so busy **naughty-naughty, wink-wink** So to avoid the risk of misnaming a key character, I can best summarize them thus:

One wants only what’s best for herself (seen flirting it up with one known with the initials of HS). Another wants to save her family from financial ruin and certain social ostracism (seen in a compromising position with the coach man, was it? Also known to be engaged to aforementioned HS). Of the two, one has attained a sort of notoriety for her flirtations and for her pedigree (or lack thereof;) the other, has been held in such high esteem by her peers; she literally seems like woman-on-pedestal. Then there’s the sister, oft times practical and contradictorily free spirited (all at once.) And then Taylor Momsen there’s the character wanting more than her position entitles her to. Then there are the boys, men really, all engaged in an affair here or a flirtation there; burdened with parental expectation.

Did I like it? Initially, no. That is until I got to Chapter 16, then to Chapter 17... and finally the very last page. I was quite surprised to see that I had finished it; especially, considering the constant negative commentary streaming in my head. The characters were detestable (most of them,) and the events were predictable. Then there’s the language in Historicals which has always been a problem for me. I find it difficult to get to the core of characters when they just keep talking. Normally alternating perspectives are a big draw for me, here the language was just too much for me.

So I ask, once again, did I like it? I’m on the fence. I hated almost everyone in it BUT I did finish it in a day… so what does that tell you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luxe.

02/09/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gorfo I love Teddy in this when you read it! Minor character but oh so loveable!

message 2: by Isamlq (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isamlq Gorfo wrote: "I love Teddy in this when you read it! Minor character but oh so loveable!"

does he play a bigger role in the rest of the books?

Gorfo Kinda...he grows on you

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm a Henry girl. I want my own bowling hat because of him.

message 5: by Isamlq (last edited Feb 09, 2011 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isamlq The only one who made a "good" impression on me was Diana... But Henry does have that bad boy appeal. And Teddy reminds of other YA's MCs (the bestfriend in who is secretly in love ..)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Diana is so unconventional. She sort of pissed me off at a couple of her actions, but I also had a lot of respect for her for always doing what was best for her.

Gorfo Stacia ~ curiouser and curiouser wrote: "Diana is so unconventional. She sort of pissed me off at a couple of her actions, but I also had a lot of respect for her for always doing what was best for her."

I had respect for Diana till the 3rd book. Then is just all went out the window.

I also want my own bowler hat! But I'm still a Teddy fan, plus I don't doubt that Teddy owns hats too!