Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Lost Gate

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

Mar 03, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read from February 25 to March 03, 2011

Well...maybe I should make my guide line into a rule. You see I broke my "guide line" not to pick up "first books" anymore until later volumes of "series" or "trilogies" or "quad-ilogies", or "deca-ilogies" ("decaologies"?) or whatever "they" were going to be got published. This book came out in January this year and I got it from the library last week. Big mistake, especially if Mr. Card does a Martin or worse a Jordan.

I have read a lot of mediocre books of late, volumes I didn't hate but couldn't really say I care for or sometimes "a lot about". I've given a lot of 2 and 3 star ratings.I try not to give a lot of 5 star ratings...but...after consideration I'm giving this one a 5. This is a great read. I believe it can make a great trilogy (as we are told it will be, the Mither Mages Trilogy).

This book begins with Danny, a 12 year old boy who lives in a compound with his family the Norths. They are (you see) descended from the Norse Deities. These people came from Westland (another world or planet)as did all the mythical deities, Greek, Roman, Hittite...Carthaginian, all of them. You see they traveled here through Great Gates. Traveling through a Great Gate sets up reverberations of power making these "mages" even more powerful with each pass, that's how they became "gods".

Only no one has passed through a Great Gate for nearly 1300 years, you see the last Loki (names get passed down) closed them all shutting the two worlds off from each other and also cutting of all the "mythical folks" power enhancement. By now even the most powerful men and women born usually aren't any great shakes.

Aside form all this all the "families" held the Norths to blame (it was a Loki who shut the gates after all) so there have been huge wars with lots of death, blood and so on. If any one family got a Gate Mage they could get the upper hand and become more powerful than all the other "deity families" (and throughout history they seemed to have made war on each other almost continually anyway Greece crushes Persia, Rome crushes Carthage and so on) so, just to be fair a law was agreed on by all the deity families. If a gate mage shows up he or she is killed....murdered...snuffed...done away with. You get the idea.

That's where the book begins and it flows very, very well with exceptional story telling and good characters.

(Yes I can see some influence of Mormon cosmology, but it's very little and not overt...you won't be "sucked in against you will" really.)

The story is actually told from alternating points of view as there is also a "boy" (though this is a misnomer) on Westland who wakes from an odd imprisonment with no memory of his past...

While the book is told from the point of view of two boys it isn't a YA book. I believe that most young adults could follow it with no problem but it doesn't seem "geared" to appeal primarily to younger readers. The story, as I said flows along smoothly (it scared me for a very short time as Danny's internal dialogue in one place threatened to start to drag, but it picked back up quickly and the story never flagged).

So, my only complaint? It's "a first volume" and I have to wait for the next 2 (at least). (I read Mr. Card's Ender's game and really liked it. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the other volumes in that series. I just didn't feel they were told as well. I live in hope that will be nothing like the case here.) In his "afterward" Mr. Card says that this idea has been peculating since the '70s...I hope that's not a bad sign (LOL). I will be looking forward to the next volume, probably (if at all possible) snap it up as it comes out or even pre-order it...and oh yes. This book (the one I read) is a library book, that means there's another "volume" I'll have to buy.

5 stars, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gate.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christoffer Keisu Woah.. Just read this book. It was very entertaining! The next book is probably going to be darker and maybe not as good. From what I figure it's not a good idea to give people "god powers" again, so the second book will likely aim at explaining why.

Christoffer Keisu I like how this book goes into how magic is anathema to technological advancement. The world that has more magic users is still stuck in medieval times while earth has moved on. I figure that the other world was once a colony of mankind reached and "terraformed" by magic.

Mike (the Paladin) The Gate Thief is I think due out this month.

Christoffer Keisu Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "The Gate Thief is I think due out this month."

Yup.. Next week. Btw, I also only read Ender's Game. Didn't bother with the others in the series. Read the Seventh Son series when I was a kid and liked it too. Orson Scott Card tells stories in a way that I like (excluding excessive internal dialogue). Can you recommend any other books by him?

Mike (the Paladin) There aren't a lot I've like exceptionally well. Ender's Shadow is pretty good. It's basically Ender's Game from Bean's point of view. Nothing else jumps to mind. I've disliked a couple. I find Card runs hot and cold for me.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Obrigewitsch I think Martin has become worse than Jordan in that regard now.