Trudi's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, dystopia, science-fiction, young-adult, series, love-actually, on-my-kobo, the-big-letdown, sucky-sequels
Read from December 12 to 13, 2011

Wow. This was so disappointing I don't even know where to begin. I do know I don't have it in me to bash it to pieces -- because it wasn't horrible just horribly disappointing. Given how much I enjoyed Matched, and defended its merits to naysayers, I feel acutely let down by this follow-up.

I don't think I have anything new to add to the heap of criticisms already lauded against it:

1) it is slooooooooooow to get going -- like three-toed sloth slow until about the 3/4 mark. For people under extreme duress and ostensibly in very grave danger, there is never any real sense of import or urgency.

2) I really missed the world-building in this one; there just wasn’t enough of it this time around, only more rehashing of what we already know. This resulted in a disheartening decline in both mystery and suspense.

3) I’m not the first person to bring attention to this, and that is Cassia and Ky as narrators stink are indistinguishable. I kept having to flip back to the beginning of every chapter to remind myself who was actually speaking. They are that similar in tone and delivery. This is in such stark contrast to how these two related to one another in Matched that I can't believe it's the same author writing them!! What the bleep happened?

4) The love triangle. Sigh. Do we really have to go there? (view spoiler) Just because it worked in the Hunger Games doesn't mean you HAVE to do this.

5) The ending (view spoiler)

I'm sorry Ms. Condie, but EPIC FAIL my darling. E-P-I-C
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by May (new) - rated it 2 stars

May This doesn't bode well if you gave 2 out of 5 stars.

Trudi So disappointing!!! Especially glaring in its epic fail compared to The Space Between and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Maybe if my recent reads had all been crappy I would have been more forgiving. But no way! Plus, I loved Matched. I can't believe the same author even wrote this!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Oh no! Now I don't know if I want to read this. I loved Matched *so* *much*

Trudi I hate to be the bearer of bad news Ann. But please, don't let me ruin it for you because you never know right? I remember when I read some really negative reviews of Matched, I was so glad I went ahead and read it anyway.

message 5: by Jc (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jc I agree with everything you've said. There were chapters where I couldn't remember who was talking, but thought, "meh, who cares". Also, enough reflection on what it means to love someone. You are supposed to be running for your lives!

Trudi Jc wrote: "I agree with everything you've said."

I now have this in writing! Yes, you should agree with everything I say all the time. It would improve our relationship immensely :)

That ending pissed me off (view spoiler)

message 7: by Jc (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jc And as if she would completely throw her faith into a new institution when ky had reasons to be wary!

Trudi Right? as if!

message 9: by May (new) - rated it 2 stars

May You do realize that the both of you are not selling this book to me? I'm kinda thinking I should drop this book from my "to-read" list and concentrate on other books.

Trudi I would say yes, but just in case book 3 is awesome, you will really want to have read this one. Besides, who wants to miss out on the bitching session? ;)

...and what if you like it?

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Maybe I'll wait and hear about book 3, and if it's good, then I'll read book 2. I didn't realize I was such a hardcore #TeamKy until now. If she doesn't end up with Ky? Fuggedaboutit.

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann OK, so I just finished reading this and I agree with everything you guys said. My main complaint is that in book 1, The Society was all-knowing and all-seeing, but in this book it's like, "Oh, we don't care what happens just outside of our borders" esp. how the teens were all like, "These coats they insist we wear keep us warm using electronics, but I'm sure thay aren't tracking us." And then... they really aren't tracking them. So bad. I'd skip it, May.

message 13: by May (new) - rated it 2 stars

May Maybe I will just skim the book in case book 3 gets better. So glad now I didn't stand in line for a couple of hours at ALA last year to get this book's ARC.