Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Fear

Fear by Michael  Grant

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, fantasy, paranormal-and-supernatural, sci-fi, thriller-suspense, ya-fiction
Read from May 04 to June 01, 2012

Goodreads defines a 2/5 rating as "It was okay." And that is the perfect sentence to use in describing the fifth chapter in the GONE series.

It was... okay.

Trying to figure out why I didn't undyingly love it like the other books is hard. Maybe because of the promise of the set up and lack of payoff. Diana's baby, the impending darkness, the inevitable battle with Drake. The way I thought each of these things would end ended exactly that way. It felt predictable and anti-climactic and so disappointing being the penultimate book in the series. The stakes feel low and unimportant going into the final book.

And, finally, what I feared would happen as this series progressed is finally happening. A lack of answers is gnawing away at my ability to give any fucks. I read an interview with Grant where he said "I give a lot of the answers up in FEAR." I can't tell you a single thing I learned that I didn't already know from previous books. Petey caused the anomaly. Diana's baby will be evil. The adults are okay outside the dome. And maybe it's not so much a lack of answers but a lack of compounding on the answers we already know. HOW did Petey do this? WHY were the kids developing powers before the FAYZ? What the hell kind of rip in the fabric in time and space resulted in Petey's omniscient and ethereal magical god powers after he died? AND WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE DOME GROWING DARK?

Even patterns from previous books are growing evident: Drake will get away in the end after a mild scuffle, random unimportant children will die horribly but have no emotional impact, someone will be bitching about SOMETHING (this time it's lack of darkness).

And those "Outside" chapters? In the beginning they were cool and fun and different and exciting. But there is something huge that is supposed to happen that just kinda never does and it makes all of these tangents to the outside world feel pointless. Okay Sam's mom misses him. Okay she's sleeping with some military dude. These people have absolutely NO idea what is going on with the dome, either. So what does any of it matter?

I don't know what's gonna happen in LIGHT, but I hope something does. FEAR felt like a blind person meandering aimlessly through the desert in pitch black darkness. OH, wait! That is what most of the characters do for 75% of this book.

I'm happy there's only one book left. And, at this point, I would rather a crazy it-was-all-an-alien-experiment explanation than what will inevitably never be explained and always simply be: the retard did it.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear.

05/07/2012 page 104
05/16/2012 page 265
52.0% "I'll have a bunch of time to finish this... ON A PLANE TO LAS VEGAS! *wut wut*"
show 3 hidden updates…

Aaron Vincent DARKNESS is too long. They will be forced to change the font size of the cover if they stick with that. And Fear sounds more compatible with the previous titles.

message 2: by Rhys (new)

Rhys Are they worth reading?

Aaron Vincent Yes, Rhys! YES, YES, and a YES!!

And besides, you told me that you already got a copy of HUNGER. Might as well read the first one, yeah?

message 4: by Rhys (new)

Rhys I do...xD

But I've got quite a large immediate TBR pile. (for me at least)...

Aaron Vincent that's because you accept lots of review copies. you should give way to your 'by my own choice' books. and remember, you need to read Paper Towns, too! Tsk. XD

message 6: by Rhys (new)

Rhys Actaully, I don't get that many review copies compared to many other bloggers...

And most of the books I get I want to read, anyways. :P

I do, I do! And Will Grayson Will Grayson.

message 7: by Mitchel (last edited Feb 08, 2011 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mitchel Broussard I'm not even reccommend you read this series. I'm going to force you. It is the funnest, action-packed, scariest and craziest sci-fi/dystopia/YA novels I've ever read. Like if Stephen King wrote for our crowd. Just don't look into the author. He's a d-bag.

And I never thought of Darkness being too long, Aaron. Does make sense.

message 8: by Rhys (new)

Rhys I shall....get to it then. I need to get Gone first, though.

Time to plunder the school library/bookshop.

message 9: by Hayden (new)

Hayden They changed the name 'cuz it was too long

Aaron Vincent Grant said QUINN. Funny that Quinn looks more like a douchebag than Sam or Caine. Girl is Diana(new model, I guess).

Mitchel Broussard THAT is Quinn? STFU. Quinn is a nerdy asshat. That guy just stumbled off an Abercrombie and Fitch photoshoot

message 12: by Heroic (new) - added it

Heroic I think this series needs to be re-released with new covers. No male models included, preferably. Doesn't capture the tone of the series at all =/ Thankfully I know not to judge these awesome books by their covers, though.

message 13: by Cara (new)

Cara Ouch. I guess I should hold off on starting this series if the ending isn't going to payoff. I think that's the problem people have with The Maze Runner series, the lack of explanation and answers. I haven't read the other books to that series but I keep seeing the same thing over and over again. Too bad because it looks like people really love the Gone series.

Mitchel Broussard The maze runner hit that same wall. Albeit much earlier, but it definitely did. To the point where I've heard friends talk about it and say almost no answers are given and I don't even feel like finishing it now.

Why do authors do this? I understand mystery is great, but you HAVE to give us something. Jeezus.

message 15: by Cara (new)

Cara I honestly think that sometimes the authors can't come up with explanation and try to make it look there were going for the mystery feel when in actuality they have no idea what they are doing. I may be being too harsh though, maybe it is what they plan to do all along. I'm okay with a little ambiguity but as a reader you invest so much in a series and it feels like we are owed answers. Ugh. I could rant about this all day but my main point is that agree with you that it can uber frustrating.