Julie's Reviews > Angle of Repose

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner

Feb 10, 08

bookshelves: faves-to-re-read
Read in February, 2008

Wow, I really enjoyed reading this book! It was such a sad, sad story and just when you think it couldn't get worse, it did - maybe I enjoy unhappy endings... Nevertheless, Stegner is so deliciously descriptive and Lyman's narration was sometimes amusing and (very) frank.
In some ways I sympathized with Susan and understood how she may have felt leaving a life she loved behind and braving the unknown. I think that's what marriage is in general. (It also helped that she mentioned places like Pougkeepsie and Dutchess County, NY, where I grew up and dearly miss!) I'm not saying that my husband led me off to western mining camps or that I moved in elite society in NY - far from it! I grew up with a cornfield around my house! I just think that marriage and motherhood require former lives or dreams to be left behind.
I couldn't always agree with Susan though - she may have looked like a "captive, bound and masked" to Mexican passers-by, but like Lyman said, "in a way, we deserve the people we marry." And "wisdom is knowing what you have to accept" - so suck it up, basically. One thing I did agree with Susan though was that she wanted her "son to grow up, as she had, knowing some loved place down to the last woodchuck hole." I can't think of anything better that knowing a place to call "home".
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angle of Repose.