ElaineY's Reviews > The Heart of Texas

Dec 06, 14

bookshelves: mm, read-more-than-once
Read from April 19 to 21, 2011

REVIEW OF REREAD, DECEMBER 6, 2014: 5 STARS

I must have confused this with another book as I had it in my head that it needed the sequel on hand before I started. I was wrong because Heart of Texas is complete on its own and didn't need a sequel at all.

I gave the book 4 stars back in 2011 when I first read. Now, compared to both the MM and MF fare I get, it's a 5-star read! I finished the book in one sitting, taking time off from everything else just to read it.

Yes, it's 'Dallas', the 80s primetime TV revisited but tHoT is as riveting as the first episode of the tv series must have been. I was glued to the story this second time around, having only vague recollections of it. The romance between Riley and Jack had me spellbound. They were hot together and I'm so glad it didn't take them long to fall from lust to love. The sex sizzled because the chemistry was there and the amount of romance was nicely balanced by the 80s-type suspense between the feuding families, intrigue and dirty secrets. I think somewhere, someone (Aves Reggiana, IIRC) described it as a 'all but the kitchen sink' book. (If this isn't that book then I must hunt down that kitchen sink book!)

This first book in the series is a gem compared to the bland fare I'm offered these days. Other romance readers may not but I buy romance for sheer entertainment and this book is nicely low-brow, unabashedly trashy and just what I like. Sigh. Omigod...I wish there were more of these. I'm sick of college-age angst, runaway teens and and MM stories with pretensions of being high-brow mysteries are just plain old boring to me.

I'll move on to the next book, Texas Winter, and already have the rest uploaded on my Kindle. I doubt they'll hold my attention because I found this first installment nicely completed and don't need anything else but I'm curious enough to want to find out.

---------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW OF EBOOK, APRIL 2011: 4 STARS

I'm not a fan of soap, have never watched any but I do recall the question 'Who Shot JR?' actually making the local papers! I enjoyed tHoH for most part though and I suppose I would read another one like it - but not soon.

There's nothing I can add that Aves hasn't already said. I did enjoy the plain, undramatic style of the author, though. Anything else would have given me indigestion.

I think I have a couple of the author's books on my TBR and will go check for another one to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of Texas.

ElaineY I have the sequel and am reading the first book again as I've forgotten the details.