Paul Schulzetenberg's Reviews > Gravity's Rainbow

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

Nov 01, 11

did not like it
Read in February, 2011

Yeah, I'll admit it. I didn't finish this book. No doubt that will convince Pynchon dedicates to hate me, but I don't care. This is overblown, ridiculously difficult, wandering and fails to establish a connective tissue between its prose and anything resembling a point.

It didn't take me long to hate the book. I've been down this road before with James Joyce, and I found no gold at the end of the overrated rainbow there either. Perhaps I just hate postmodern writing. It puzzles me, because I do enjoy it immensely in other art forms, and as a tool on analysis, but literary postmodernism bores me to tears.

As far as I'm concerned, this book is a pretentious asshole rewriting Catch-22 with an absurd amount of additional verbiage, cutting up the manuscript and reordering it. Well, he succeeded in creating something absolutely unreadable.

Classic be damned, I'm calling Emperor's New Clothes on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity's Rainbow.

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim How far did you get?

message 2: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Schulzetenberg It's been awhile since I read this, but I recall it being about a third of the way through. It was well over 100 pages, and when there didn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel, I gave up.

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim I am currently re-reading this (having read it first some 25 years ago). I will admit that I have a soft spot for Pynchon, but do agree that the prose in this novel can be very dense and hard to penetrate in places. There is plenty of lightness and humour too though. Mason and Dixon on the other hand is in my opinion more consistently entertaining, although I wouldn't go as far as saying it is an easy read. I wonder if his novels are becoming more user friendly because I never finished V which came before both of them.