Dayna Ingram's Reviews > The Getaway

The Getaway by Jim Thompson

I actually really enjoyed this book, despite how plot-heavy it is and how crime fiction usually isn't my thing (that's one of the reasons I am taking this class, after all, to broaden my horizons). The story just kept on moving, and Thompson did a great job weaving psychology and character development into the plot, which did a lot to build tension around fairly typical (for the genre) developments. There's a lot of betrayals and double-crosses going on, but at the heart, this is a story about a couple who love each other, even if they can't quite trust each other anymore. In the end, it kind of gets really dark and eerie, and El Ray is a place I don't quite understand, but I'm willing to go there because I suppose it is the only place Doc can think to seek refuge after all the murderin' he's done. My favorite part is Carol in the underwater cave (so. much. tension!), and my least favorite part is how quickly everything with Rudy got "resolved," if that term even applies. Not a bad read though, especially if you like action movies but don't usually read action/crime novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Getaway.