Shayla's Reviews > Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!

Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman

Feb 12, 11

Read from February 07 to 09, 2011

So this was recommended by a Dr that we have been working with lately. The language is atrocious, many f** bombs and crude remarks and other language that is not surprising, I guess, coming from a book with this title. There was a lot of good stuff in here, if you can get past all the irreverence. For instance, there was a great section on how Aspartame came to be FDA approved (sketchy), and how the government food pyramid was formed (crooked), and other great information. It had some great research to back up their point of view on the vegan lifestyle, too.

There's a lot of tough love stuff in here that, in reality, I think needs to be said. They say, "Soda is liquid Satan" and (I'll paraphrase here due to the crudeness) that if you think you're going to lose weight drinking Soda or Coffee or eating junk food, you are crazy. And, in this age, with crazy addictions to energy drinks, soda, coffee, and other stimulants, it needed to be said that if you feel like you need anything to "wake up", you aren't taking care of yourself right.

But, I didn't love it as much as "Disease Proof Your Child" or "The China Study" (so far). Firstly, because there was too much emphasis on eating this way to have a sweet a**... whatever. Secondly, because there was all this information on how you should eat real food, and not anything that's overly processed, etc. and then in the menu plans and suggested foods section, there's a ton of fake meat used...what?! I think their point was good-I think we eat too much meat and dairy, but don't you think it would be more healthy to eat real, natural, plant based foods more rather than trying to duplicate your previous eating habits by throwing in tofurkey and other soy based meats and cheeses (which, soy has been proven to have some adverse affects as well). Also, they're advocates for extended juice fasts for 10 days or so, and there's a lot of content and language that, quite frankly, could inspire some anorexia.

I read the book, as I stated before, because our Dr. recommended it for the facts in it, and because I have been reading up on everything related to this subject lately, but I'm not sure that I would recommend it, especially considering that there are other books in this genre that are so fabulous and you don't have to wade through the crap.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch.