Qt's Reviews > Suite Française

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Apr 07, 08

bookshelves: history, drama, world-war-ii
Recommended to Qt by: KW
Recommended for: those interested in history, or simply fans of good books
Read in April, 2008

An amazing book--wholly engrossing, and completely gripping. The writing is beautiful, fluid, and descriptive; the book itself is a very moving portrait of the events in France, as seen through the eyes of several very different characters. In Book One, Parisians flee Paris and take refuge in the countryside, and Book Two describes the occupation of a French village.
There are only a few scenes of violence; the focus of the book is more on people--their emotions, their actions, what they do to survive. It reveals different aspects of World War II, and shows people's reactions to the events around them.

There are also Appendices in the back of the book. The first contains the author's notes on her novel, and it was fascinating to get a glimpse of how she wrote, organized her thoughts, and planned out her book. The second is a collection of correspondence, and this is the most heartbreaking part of the book.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Française.

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Oh! I'm glad you found a copy of this. I hope it will be good. I look forward to your review.

message 2: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt Yes, I was so delighted to find the library had a copy! It's quite long, so it may take a while to finish, but I'm a few chapters in and it really is written beautifully. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll keep you posted!

message 3: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt I have finished the first part of this book, which tells the story of Parisians fleeing Paris as the Germans get closer, and so far I really, really like it. The book is beautifully written, very gripping and captivating. This is a part of World War II I had not really read about, and it does a great job of portraying the different emotions people would feel, and the different things they do--how the same situation affects people in different ways.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Wow, sounds great! I'm so glad that it's turning out to be a good, worthwhile book for you.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann If this continues to be well written and informative, I may have to read it myself.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann This sounds like a great book! Are the characters real people, or are the characters inspired by real people and events?
Thanks for the great review, too! It really helps to get an feeling for the book.:)

message 7: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt I think the characters are fictional, although since the author was living in France at that time they might be inspired by real people. The events I think are based on real events.
It sounds like the author wrote several other novels, too, and I'd love to read some of them someday too!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Thanks for the information. That's amazing that she's got such first-hand experience!!:) Let me know if you find another of her books to read. That's quite a compliment to an author, isn't it? if you want to read more of their writing:)

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I'm so glad it ended up being such a great book, Q! I appreciate your review and I'm glad that stories like this are being told, and told so well.

message 10: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt I agree, Annie! When you want to read more by an author, you know they did something right :-)
And thanks for the recommendation, Katie; it was kind of a sad book (though not really *depressing* most of the time) but I really liked it and thought it was so good.