Chris's Reviews > A Very Private Gentleman

A Very Private Gentleman by Martin Booth

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read from February 07 to 21, 2011

Having enjoyed the movie, "The American," which is based on this book, I just had to read it to see how faithfully the movie adhered to the original. This is a gem of a book. It's not mystery but literary. It's filled with metaphors and philosophical discussions on the nature of man. The protagonist played by Clooney in the movie is the narrator. He has an air of arrogance and condescending omniscience but manages to still come across as engaging with the potential to be redeemed. The pace is slow but quite interesting. The descriptions of the local scenery and lessons on life as an assassin or armorer are descriptive and profound. You keep hoping that "Edmund" will finally find peace and never have to look over his shoulder again. For a man who kills or abets killing he rationalizes his deeds and proclaims his integrity as a man of honor. But the local priest and the local girl are tugging at his heart and head. The movie adheres to the book until the ending. Oh, and he had a Volvo in the movie, but a Citroen in the book. The ending in the book is clear unlike the movie. Read it and find out what really happened. Reminded me of John le Carre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Very Private Gentleman.

02/07/2011 page 1
0.0% "Just saw George Clooney in "The American" which is based on this book. Great film."
02/16/2011 page 9
3.0% "This is good so far. I can tell I'm going to have read more of this author's books."
02/17/2011 page 71
25.0% "Slow in a good sense. Very philosophical and descriptive. The narrator/assassin is displaying an omniscient attitude towards the world."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Moved it to the top of my netflix queue. Thanks for the heads-up. Always looking for good films and sadly,sometimes go through dry stretches.

Chris Trish wrote: "Moved it to the top of my netflix queue. Thanks for the heads-up. Always looking for good films and sadly,sometimes go through dry stretches."

Roger Ebert ranked it number 9, I believe, in his ten best films of 2010. http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/...

message 3: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Thanks for the link.

message 4: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Saw the film & really liked it--Thanks.