Indiaskye's Reviews > Sweet Misfortune

Sweet Misfortune by Kevin Alan Milne

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, contemporary-fiction-and-romance, favorites, they-should-make-this-a-movie
Read from February 07 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

It's not easy to find the right words to describe this book. It wasn't perfect --- and yet, it was so well-written and it touched me in so many ways that I cannot possibly give it less than five stars!

The book tells the story of Sophie - a young woman with a tragic past - and Garrett, her former fiancé who left her a few days before their wedding. When Garrett suddenly reappears in Sophie's life, telling her that he still loves her and that he wants one evening to explain to her why he cancelled their wedding, she comes up with one condition: Garrett must publish an ad asking people to tell him what they consider true fortune (or happiness) to be. If he can get together 100 good answers (and Sophie will be the one to judge which answers are good and which are not) then - and only then - will she give him the chance to explain. But Sophie isn't quite prepared for the number of replies - nor for the way that her life will be changed by this ad ...

"Sweet Misfortune" is a story that is at times funny and cute, and at other times emotional and sad. It's a story about fortune, and what it truly means; about two people whose lives were intertwined long before they realized it, and who each blamed themselves for something that was out of their control; and last but not least, it is a story about the healing power of love and forgiveness.

It is also one of those books that I almost didn't read. I got a copy of the German edition through Amazon's Vine program --- they had a few titles this month, and this was the one that sounded most interesting --- and so I had to read it rightaway because I'm expected to write a review on the German Amazon site. Chances are that I never would have stumbled across "Sweet Misfortune" if it hadn't been for Amazon Vine.

Now, I may not have had to pay for this book, but I will be buying copies of it for all of my friends because "Sweet Misfortune" is one of those rare books that you just want to share with everyone you know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Misfortune.

02/11/2011 page 86