ananka's Reviews > How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story

How I Made It to Eighteen by Tracy  White

Feb 13, 11

bookshelves: addiction, abuse, adult, alcohol, body-image, boarding-school, drugs, friendship, graphic-novel, memoir, mental-health, teen
Read in February, 2011

I have a few people near to me that struggle with some sort of addiction, whether it is drugs, alcohol or eating disorders. This book helped me look at those illnesses from the person experiencing them's perspective. It made it a little easier to forgive and to stop feeling guilty for not "being there." This is a memoir style comic that tells how Stacy Black goes to a mental hospital to deal with the depression that has been slowly building up in her over the last several years. The situation in the mental hospital reminded me of the movie It's Kind of a Funny Story--there's art class, group therapy, individual therapy and stark hospital rooms. The patients have to figure out what is really wrong. Most of them are lying, even to themselves and they can't get help until they stop. There are interjecting chapters where questions are asked of Stacy's 4 closest friends that give insight into her illness as well as some into the corners of their own minds.

I think this would be a good book to give to someone struggling with depression, eating disorders or addiction, or a person who has someone in those situations close to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Made It to Eighteen.