Nina ♥'s Reviews > Hallowed

bookshelves: favorites, ridiculously-hot-guys
Read from February 05 to 18, 2012

Contains minor spoilers.

4.25 stars. ♥

What a spectacular sequel! Cynthia hand, I hereby pledge to always read every single one of your awesome books (why must there only be two?) and you are now forever one of my favorite authors.

What to say about Hallowed? I can safely say that it was, without a doubt, just as good as the first book, if not better. It has all the elements that made the previous book so enjoyable, only everything’s more intense and yes, totally heartbreaking and more awesome I need to stop saying that word than it's former.

Clara--what a remarkable MC Hand has created! She is still just as tough and lovable and totally kickass as she was in Unearthly. I found myself feeling sorry for her, and felt her pain and her desperation at the situation that was thrown at her. She really goes through a lot in this book.

There is a love triangle in Hallowed (and what a unique one at that!) that was shadowy at best in Unearthly, but becomes more apparent and also develops a lot in this book. More often than not, I hate love triangles. It's usually because I either a) root for the wrong guy (while totally knowing it, which is very tragic. LEARN, Nina. LEARN, dammit!) and b) all their doting on the MC wears me out (especially when I have no idea what's so special about her) and it makes me hate all three of said characters and therefore ruins the book for me. Hand doesn't break any new ground, but she has what a lot of other authors lack in their books: originality. For one, the love interests aren’t complete tools. :P

Now back to the inner fangirl in me; MAN, am I freaking glad that Clara chose Christian in the end. I mean, even the Big Guy up there is Team Christian. xD I love how he slowly worms his way through Clara’s heart; just like Clara says in this line about him that describes their friendship perfectly: ...not expecting anything, not pressuring me, but there. Wanting me to know he’s there. Hopeful. Don't you just love him in this book?!?! I bet you did, don't deny it. (view spoiler)

What I was not expecting was how much I would grow to love Tucker in Hallowed. Don't get me wrong, I liked him in Unearthly too, I thought he was okay and all, but just kind of...meh. Didn’t really care that much about him. In this book, however, that considerably changed! I loved him so much for being there for Clara, and understanding, and just being downright sweet and the guy who makes you go all "awww!"

The plot flows easily just like it did in Unearthly. The characters all develop a lot (I especially felt sorry for Jeffery in this one, the way he changed so drastically), and despite seeing a few of the surprises coming, there are such mind-blowing twists in this book that made my head spin!

One of the reasons I really like Cynthia Hand as a writer is that she know what the heck she’s writing. Everything she writes has purpose, or at least, a foreshadowing. You can tell it’s all been thought of thoroughly and planned out. The research, the plot. I didn’t find a single question that didn’t have a valid answer. The romance is crafted beautifully, the angel lore tantalizing, and there is more than enough of plot twists, heartbreak, and character development (did you expect that thing with Samjeeza at the end?! I think not!). I’m sensing that even the love triangle has purpose. I’m also really interested and would like to know more about Clara’s mom in the third book: her purpose, her relationship with Michael, why Samjeeza had to kill her (and why he failed. I mean, it's obvious, but how--why--did he fall in love with her? Will he go back to being bad in in the third book?)

I did not, however, like how Angela and Wendy (was there any Wendy at all?) turned out in Hallowed.

In conclusion, this was purrrfect! I seriously am already feeling withdrawn already. *wails unattractively* How can I wait till 2013 for the next book?! I mean, they’re going to Stanford!!! Just imagine how awesome that would be! Urrgh there goes that annoying word again. I want a cover and title NOW. Pretty please? It’s the least you cruel people can do!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

HOLY. CRAP. ASDFGHJKL. My heart! Why do you do this to me, Cynthia Hand? WHY?

Review to come. Too speechless and emotionally exhausted to write one right now. *starts bawling again*

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

Quotes Nina ♥ Liked

Cynthia Hand
Coward, says the nagging voice inside my head. You should talk to him. Find out what he has to say.
What if he says we belong together?
Well, then you'll have to deal with that. But at least you won't be running away.
I think it's more of a brisk walk.
Whatever.

I'm having an argument with myself. And I'm losing. So not a good sign.”

Cynthia Hand
“This is isn't going to become one of those creepy situations where you show up at all hours of the night to watch me sleep, is it?" he asks playfully.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker strokes my hair. There's something so tender about the gesture. It might as well have been him whispering I love you.”

"Uh, hi."
"Nice night for stalking," he observes.
"No, I was---"
"Get your butt in here, Carrots.”

“Pity party over?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Good. Not good to wallow for too long. It's bad for the complextion.”

Cynthia Hand
“There I go, Clara the parrot. I belong on a pirate's shoulder.”

Cynthia Hand
“Christian is staring at us. He’s an only child and could never understand the delicate joys of sibling abuse.”

Cynthia Hand
“So who's lucky number three?

No answer.

I turn around to look at him again.

He grins.

Now I get it, I tell him. You're stalking me.

Cynthia Hand
“When I was a kid my mom used to tell me that if i have sex before i was married, my... junk would turn black and fall off.”
tags: humor

Cynthia Hand
“Your hair smells like wind, did you know that?"

Yep, me and Tucker, smelling each other.”

Cynthia Hand
“Just so you know, this is the last time I ever trust you," I say.
"But you're so cute all covered in snow."
"Shut up and help me find my ski." We search through the powder for a while, but don't locate my missing ski. After ten fruitless minutes I'm convinced that the mountain has eaten it.”

Cynthia Hand
“What? I demand to know. "What is it now?"
"You're not going to go." he says.
"Watch me."
"I've been having a vision of this place, too." This stops me from my wild, cowardly (how can he think I'm brave?) retreat back to the road ...
"You're having a new vision, too?" I ask.
"It's right here." He walks toward me, his strides long and purposeful across the grass. "Right now. I've been seeing it for weeks, and it's happening right now."
He stops in front of me.
"This is the part where I kiss you," he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“This isn't going to become one of those creepy situations where you show up at all hours of the night to watch me sleep, is it?" [Tucker] asks playfully.

"Every moment I'm away from you, I die a little," I say in return.”

Cynthia Hand
“Ava's not my date. I came stag."
"Stag. You. Why?"
"So my date wouldn't get offended when I wanted to dance with you," he says.”

02/05/2012
26.0% "Whoa...this is slowly going into BADASS TERRITORY. First rule of Angel Club: you do not talk about Angel Club! Teehee, Christian and Jeffrey are already bonding. :D Just when I thought Cynthia Hand couldn't get any more amazing, she makes a Fight Club reference. *-* brad"
02/10/2012
57.0% "“Hi there," Tucker says brightly, like we're bumping into each other on the street. "Uh, hi." "Nice night for stalking," he observes. "No, I was---" "Get your butt in here, Carrots.” This is why I like Tucker. :D So it's going a bit slower than Unearthly, but I'm still really enjoying this. So sad though. Poor Clara."
02/18/2012
85.0% "I'm wondering who started the second fire (the one Tucker was trapped in). Could it be Jeffrey? It's only a guess. Maybe that's why he was out the night of the fire in the first book. And the way he laughed when Clara said she saved him instead. And his wings. Maybe that was his purpose...or I dunno, part of it. Don't laugh if I'm wrong." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Giselle AWWW <3

message 2: by Nina ♥ (last edited May 01, 2012 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina ♥ Heehehee. XD

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I haven't even read the book and this review kind of captured my attention :o

Nina ♥ Yeeep! You should so read it. It's very sad but it's just as good as the first one! :)

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Oh goodie! Sad stories tend to be very beautiful :')
I should read it soon; but my mom says I should stop reading books. lol

Nina ♥ Ah, that sucks! -_-
I know right! Sad stories also tend to be more memorable than happy ones too. Just a theory of mine. :D

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Yeah it does, but I still read ;) And as for Boundless...I finished it, my whole body's shaking. >< Why Hand????? Why must you be the only one that makes me feel this way?! So yeah, if you love Christian, it's Christian-heavy! Literally! LOL. And plenty of twists (one of them is a little too expecting), but hope you enjoy it!

Nina ♥ Can't wait! I already know who she's going to be with, but I refuse to let it bother me. I'm sure I'll love it like I loved the first two books. :}

message 9: by Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ (last edited Jun 21, 2013 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I just you know....I love everyone so freaking much in this book! EVEN SAMJEEZA.