Amy's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: memoir, parenting
Read in February, 2011

I actually enjoyed this book! Amy Chua has been raked over the coals for her unorthodox approach to parenting, and many have talked about her parenting as similar to child abuse. However, this is a memoir, about an overachieving and highly disciplined law professor trying to raise her daughters so that they will excel in life.

Why did she force her daughters to practice music for hours every day? Because she felt that the discipline of playing classical music is the opposite of the materialistic, spoiled lives of the Asian American children she saw around her. Her parents immigrated to the United States and worked hard all of their lives. Chua and her sisters were raised strictly and had a strong work ethic instilled in them by their parents. But Chua feared her children would reap the negative benefits of having upper middle class parents, and fall into what she called barbarianism. Her Chinese mothering was an attempt to change that, and she admits that it didn't work all of the time.

Anyone who works with high school and college age students know that this generation does have a problem of being so self-centered and entitled that they can't seem to succeed in school or life without their parents help. I can't tell how many times mothers have called me with questions about their child's class schedule or angry about their child's grade-- and these children are in college! Parents even call about their children in Law School! So while I don't know if I'll have the discipline of making my children practice the piano for hours, I understand the motivation behind Chua's plan.

I read this book as a memoir, not as a parenting instruction manual. I found it interesting and do recommend it to others. It's worth reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I've been intrigued about all of the negative press this author has been getting, and I have to read this for myself!