Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya's Reviews > Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: audible-com, biography, in-english
Read from February 03 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

~TRANSFORMED BY GREAT NOVELISTS~

If you think there are too many restrictions in your life, think back to China in times of Mao's rule and imagine your life without books. Any books, apart of Mao's Little Red Book and a handful of dry, production-oriented study books. And think, what would the biggest treasure in such a time be.

Two teenagers stole a suitcase of forbidden books by Balzac and Zola, Duma and Romen Rollan, Tolstoy and Bronte from another boy, who was "re-educated" on the same Phoenix mountain. They already knew that after drinking in the melodious words and events, they will never be the same. They were destined to be transformed by the power of words which wake up the stirrings of the soul and heart; the very deep and soulful mission of books, the successful completion of which makes them survive through the centuries, being read by generation after generation.

The books also transformed a young lover of one of the boys, the Little Seamstress... I will not tell you what happened to her, but in her life a book played a role of the "trouble-solver", a teacher, and an ambition-stirrer...

For all the hardship mentioned in the book, it is a quick and witty read: I was laughing many times for it is impossible to NOT see the images in your mind when reading this book, the author managed to keep all of his humor despite the curves life sent him. The book leaves you breathing deeper with the happy realization of your freedom and the desire to take Balzac's work and drink it in slowly, sipping word by word through your heart, enjoying the flavor and the long-term effect it is destined to leave on the people who can switch the world off and disappear in the education of soul gifted to us by the grand master writers of the time long-gone.

Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

ps It was joyful to learn that the author of the book managed to not only get educated in a University after the end of Mao's rule, but also became an author and a filmmaker in France, inspired, by no means, by the discovery of the World of Words, Feelings, Emotions and Events he found in the leather suitcase when he was a thoughtful teenager with a meek "three in a thousand" hope to ever see big city lights again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Burroughs Dear Victoria,
How I LOVE reading your book reviews!!! Once again, you've made a sale for a very deserving author!!!

Smiles,
Anna Cook

Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya Thank you my dear Anna! I am very very happy to hear that you enjoy my reviews and that I am able to spread the word of the wonderful books that I am blessed to meet on my life's path!

Love,