Wealhtheow's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Feb 06, 08

bookshelves: historical, regency
Recommended for: Liz
Read in February, 2008

The book opens thusly: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

An excellent beginning! It is, unfortunately, all downhill from there. Lady Julia Grey, the narrator and heroine, is a sensible, good hearted gentlewoman far ahead of her time. She's a very readable character, although a bit too anachronistic. I would like to read a book in which she simply goes through life. Unfortunately, the author is determined to write mysterious romances. To solve her husband's murder, Julia engages the gentleman detective Nicholas Brisbane. He is swarthy and sarcastic and secretly excellent at fighting and music and can speak every language ever and etc--a horrible, hodgepodge collection of stereotypes that makes him well-nigh unreadable. The mystery is not any better: fifty pages from the end, the author remembers that this is a mystery novel and suddenly all sorts of clues start falling into place.

I was disappointed with this book. Raybourn obviously did some research into the Victorian era, and the March family (of which Julia is a member) is an interesting one. But the sloppiness of the mystery and the trite hero decreased my enjoyment considerably.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz DeCoster Only two stars, but still recommended for me?! :-P

Wealhtheow Hehe, it's no comment on your reading taste! It's an enjoyable little book, and I know you and I have similar interests in Victorian literature and mysteries.

message 3: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz DeCoster I guess that's a good point ...

On a related noted, have you seen any of the Masterpiece Austen movies after Persuasion?

Wealhtheow (Ugh, that version of Persuasion was so disappointing!) I'd seen the adaptations of Mansfield Park and Northhanger Abbey before, when they first came out. NA is a lot of fun (and I like the sarcastic love interest), but Billie Piper was awful as Fanny in MP. Awful I tells ya!

What did you think?

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz DeCoster I agree about Billie Piper; I was disappointed in that one. But I did like Northanger Abbey. I feel like they did a good job interpreting the mocking tone of the book. The v. awkward ending scene was excellent.