Sweetp-1's Reviews > Doomsday Book

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, sci-fi, timetravel
Read from June 13 to 19, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I read BlackOut/All Clear earlier this month was expecting this book to have more "sci-fi" or at least to have more information about how the time travel worked etc since it was teh same universe. The scifi stuff is pretty light and interestingly Willis's futuristic London reads a lot like 1940's with video phones and Tcell enhancements. I mean, there was A LOT of dithering about again (a major gripe I had with BO/AC) simply because they couldnt get hold of people on the phone - perhaps they should have invented cell phones and GPS along with their time travelling net (which incidentally came with "locators"). Willis once again over-uses the cliff hanger chapters where theyalmostbutnotquite get the information they need - last time it was crowds in the tube station or the train doors closing, this time it was a flu making people unconscious just before they imparted the vital piece of information.
Despite that once the action finally started - like about 300 pages in I really enjoyed it and the descriptions of the plague villages were suitably gorey. She isn't afraid to kill off all the beloved characters - I'll give her that! I much enjoyed the descriptions of life in the 1300's and Kivrin's attempts to help everyone.

Willis should really write a book about Colin. Loved him in AC (guh) and in this one he is just a kid - a gorgeous, smart and funny kid who was once again my favourite character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doomsday Book.