Donna's Reviews > Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

May 04, 11

bookshelves: a-z-challenge, 2011
Read from April 29 to May 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is not a book I would normally read but I needed a "Y" for my A-Z Author Challenge so this was it!
Ok so for a book where nothing actually happens until right at the end, it was strangely unputdownable. But I don't know why! The characters weren't nice people, nothing really happens, but I guess that must mean it was well written.
Set in 1955, it is about a married couple who are typical suburbanites. He is in a job he doesn't really like but doesn't have to do much so he takes the money and forgets about the job when he goes home. She is a housewife looking after their two kids. They got married because she was pregnant, and they have friends who are just like themselves. Then they start thinking that they don't want to be like everyone else and decide to sell up and move to Europe. But they don't actually make any definite plans to go and after telling everyone they are going to do it, they don't because she ends up pregnant again. But this is just an excuse to not do something they were never really going to do anyway.
And apart from the ending which I won't give away, that is it!!! It's all talking about something that they never actually do. How can you get 300 pages out of that??? Somehow the author does and I read it in 3 days flat!
By the end I decided that the only sane person was the character who was certified as insane!!!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolutionary Road.

04/30/2011 page 65
show 6 hidden updates…

Cecily The funny thing is that I agree with much of what you say, and yet I gave it 5*!

Yes, it's slow and the characters are neither admirable nor likable, but it's all so carefully analysed and vividly realised. Superb.