Jessica's Reviews > Perfect From Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life

Perfect From Now On by John Sellers

Feb 22, 2011

it was ok
Read from February 06 to 22, 2011

The book is titled Perfect From Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life, but I saw no indication of live-saving in this book. I surely related to a large chunk of Sellers' rants and quirks regarding the dynamics of being an obsessive music fan. I do believe he loves the bands he raves about (namely Guided by Voices). However, his tone is pretty snarky, and not in an endearing way. Some parts come off as snobbish and pretentious, ruling bands/music out for what I find to be arbitrary reasons. Some are in good fun, but others are just plain short-sighted and whiny. I did underline quite a few passages that I can absolutely relate to and I did get a few good chuckles, but I would describe this book at merely okay. The footnotes did get a bit excessive and distracting. I think that, overall, I was most annoyed by Sellers because he seemed to suggest indie rock "saved his life" solely because it was indie. I didn't feel any of his emotional draw until very late, when he talked about GBV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect From Now On.