Christa Seeley's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, genre-fantasy, own
Recommended for: Fantasy lovers
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

After being driven out of their homes by the unknown Adversary, the characters of our most treasured fables are now living among us in the real world. New York City to be exact. While they were once separated, sticking to their own worlds and characters, they are now drawn together and forced to co-operate with one another. Especially when one of their own, Rose Red, sister to the beautiful Snow White, has gone missing. Staring a myriad of beloved (and not so beloved characters) including, the Big Bad Wolf, Little Boy Blue, Bluebeard, Prince Charming, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Fables takes you deep into a world that you've never dreamed of.

These comics were recommended to me a number of times, so when I saw the first volume on sale on the Book Depository website I thought “why not?” I fully expected this book to be a short and silly read with some nice pictures. I was partially right. The premise is kind of silly. I mean come on, the Big Bad Wolf has reformed his ways and become the detective of the underground Fabletown? Seems a little farfetched to me. Silliness aside, however, this was actually a well written comic book. It was dark and gritty and there was quite a few surprises and I legitimately didn't see the ending coming at all. The style of writing and even the drawings themselves kind of reminded me of old school Batman comics.

The artwork was pretty good, not anything to write home about but still pleasing to look at. What really stood out, was the periodically throughout the comic there would be these full page paintings, usually of a particular character and I found those absolutely gorgeous (see example on the right). The whole thing was very bright and colourful and made for an overall enjoyable read. I definitely think I'm hooked on this series now. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it to any fantasy and/or comic fans out there. Only major flaw, you'll more than likely find yourself flying through it as it is a very fast and easy ready. Thankfully they're not as a expensive as most graphic novels you find nowadays so they also won't break the bank.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 1.