Jessica Moniz's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Jun 20, 2011

bookshelves: own-it
Read on June 20, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Cornelia Funke
“Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.”

Cornelia Funke
“If you take a book with you on a journey," Mo had said when he put the first one in her box, "an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it... yes, books are like flypaper—memories cling to the printed page better than anything else.”

Cornelia Funke
“I prefer a story that has the good sense to stay on the page where it belongs.
- Elinor”

Cornelia Funke
“The books in Mo and Meggie's house were stacked under tables, on chairs, in the corners of the rooms. There where books in the kitchen and books in the lavatory. Books on the TV set and in the closet, small piles of books, tall piles of books, books thick and thin, books old and new. They welcomed Meggie down to breakfast with invitingly opened pages; they kept boredom at bay when the weather was bad. And sometimes you fall over them.”

Cornelia Funke
“Perhaps there's another, much larger story behind the printed one, a story that changes just as our own world does. And the letters on the page tell us only as much as we'd see peering through a keyhole. Perhaps the story in the book is just the lid on a pan: It always stays the same, but underneath there's a whole world that goes on - developing and changing like our own world.”