Dhara Mehta's Reviews > The World Is Flat [Further Updated and Expanded; Release 3.0]: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century

The World Is Flat [Further Updated and Expanded; Release 3.0] by Thomas L. Friedman

Mar 06, 11

liked it
Read in March, 2011

Thomas Friedman’s the World is Flat should be entitled, “The History of the Computer Revolution”. I found this book far more verbose than it ought to be. In the midst of repetitive banter there are a few pearls of wisdom. Particularly that Americans should wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to rising giants like India and China. At some points I feel petrified that someone 10,000 miles away is vying for my job, my lifestyle, and is willing to be paid less and work harder. The analogy between 9/11 and 11/9 (fall of the Berlin wall) is wonderful however, overused. Friedman also takes time to explain the failed states and attributes it either lack of democracy or too much corruption. In his zealous admiration of societies like India and China, he neglects to point out potential flaws i.e. conspicuous consumerism and the lassitude of wealthy. As those countries become more affluent, their kids will no longer attend cram schools 12 hours a day and will prefer watching television, listening to IPOD, and playing video games. Furthermore, the new found wealth in conjunction free labor leads to a generation of entitled Chinese and India children. One quote in the latter part of colossal book is, “In this age of transition, young men in particular lose a sense of identity, rootness, and personal dignity that has been provided by social structure (559). This has been echoed by various great minds Chinua Achebe, Alan Paton, and John Steinbeck. An overall all informative read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Is Flat [Further Updated and Expanded; Release 3.0].

02/08/2011 page 57
02/16/2011 page 149
22.0% "Every morning in Afica, a gazella wakes up.
It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will killed.
Every morning a lion wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or ot will starve to death
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or gazella
When the sun comes up, you better start running"
02/18/2011 page 203
30.0% "Fame and fortune favor the prepared mind.August 15 commemorated the freedom at midnight Y2K made possible employment at midnight (p 136)
No bigger flattenerthan knowledge (176)
Some new terms that I have learned-outsourcing, offsoring, supply chain, insourcing, uploading etc"
02/21/2011 page 300
45.0% "Finish your homework or some kid in China or India will take your job
Who owns your bits when you die (p 255)
Do you preferr the Walmart or teh Costco approach (p 252)"
02/23/2011 page 407
61.0% "Judgement not included (p 311)
170 terbyted of knowledge but not a few on wisdom (312)
Now that the foreigners can do left brain work cheaper, we have to do right brain work beeter (322)
I feel that Tom Friedman is in stating, ‘Affluence is forbearance of lassitude’. For a girl eho thinks C++ is a tad below B and JAVA is the largest island in Indonesia, this is a difficult read..."
02/26/2011 page 475
71.0% "Culture matters but culture is nested in context, not genes, and those contexts, and local leaders change and adapt so can culture. At this point I am fed up with the repetitive nature of Tom Friedman's The World is Flat. Trying to struggle to the finish line....."
02/27/2011 page 537
80.0% "If character is destiny, and strangers have so many more tools to look inside your character now, then you better build a solid character.

Feed a person a fish and you have fed a person for a day. Teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime. I would add: Help that person grow a fishing business and you would have not only fed his family but also his village."
03/05/2011 page 672
100.0% "An act if cowardice or an act of nobility (597)
The heresy is not that mankind workd together but to but ends (604)
Failure or empowerment of the individual.
Do you live in dreams or memories"
show 1 hidden update…