Jenny Maloney's Reviews > Mike and Psmith

Mike and Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: funny, cricket, moral-dilemmas, 2011
Read in February, 2011

To be honest, I don't know that much about cricket. You could quiz me all day long and I wouldn't be able to tell you, definitively, what a wicket is. There is a ton of cricket in this book. I struggled with the cricket bits.

But sports, practical jokes, sticking up for friends, and wit are universal enough that I loved this book.

For the time that I read this book (it only took a couple days, it's a super-quick read) I was swept away. Psmith is charmingly witty, and Mike charmingly stoic. The plot moves fast and furious. It's like a crazed Tom Sawyer--and the practical jokes are very Sawyerish. Painted dogs, midnight fire-alarm-pulling, and cricket, of course, weave in and out. There's even a tiny mystery thrown in for good measure.

I was also impressed by Wodehouse's ability to draw characters, especially in comparison to his other two magnificent characters, Jeeves and Wooster. Wodehouse can capture the attitudes and foibles of very dissimilar characters, bring them together, and BAM! it's alchemy. I'm sure of it. Psmith reminded me of a witty, intelligent Wooster, and Mike reminded me of a stoic, well-meaning-but-not-as-observant Jeeves. Or vice-versa. What I mean to say: put Psmith and Mike together, or Jeeves and Wooster, and you've got a great story as they bungle along through the world. Yay Wodehouse!

~Jenny
Place For The Stolen
Under Ground Writing Project

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mike and Psmith.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jayanth Wow, you must have found it tough to get thru, then. It does have enough cricket to be deemed uninteresting by someone who doesn't follow it.