Greg Allan Holcomb's Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Mar 01, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own
Read on February 06, 2011

As the only dude to win this book from Goodreads' First-Reads I feel a bit o' pressure.

I liked this book a lot. It's not Chick-lit. It's not Lad-lit. I'm putting this down as a Plane book. Go read it on a airplane.

Plot- Lincoln's the guy who monitors email at his work. He's supposed to report Beth and Jennifer, but he finds their emails entertaining. And he falls for Beth.

It's easy to see why he does. Over the course of the book we learn: Beth has a Sandman poster, She quotes Field of Dreams deeper than "If you build it", She made a LOTR reference that I didn't catch, She referenced The movie Heathers, and had an astute observation on Julia Roberts[(Chap 9- page 38ish)at this point I was fully hooked]. In my notes I also have that she knew about the Marvel Comics hero Black Panther. (That might've just been the author.)

The curves near the end were nice. 3 Ninety degree serves means who knows where it's going.

I was going to donate this to the Library, but I don't think I want to give this book away. I have loaned it out already, but it will be mine again. Hopefully it'll get another review soon.

I have only two nitpicks. Two typos in the book (I'm sure they'll get fixed) and a mention of Fantasy Football in 1999. I don't think it was around as the leagues I was playing we were still betting points through Y2K.

+++++++++++++++ +++SWEAR WORD COMING UP+ +++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++
NEW
I added a star two weeks later because I can't get the line about "She Smelled like the Fifth of July" out of my head.
And in an argument I quoted one of Lincoln's friends views on a specific sect of Christianity- "Those c*cks*ckers barely believe in Jesus". Shut up the other guy.
74 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

02/06 page 335
100.0% "TOre thru this. Got it Friday at 8:30 AM and loaned it to a co-worker on Saturday. Review coming as soon as I figure which way to go. 4* book."
02/11 marked as: read

Adrienne This is the fist time I have seen the term "Lad-Lit!" I like it! We should all adopt it and hope a genre grows around it.

Cyndy Deleon I loved your review. Lincolns friends quote about that specific sect of christianity had me dying.

Greg Allan Holcomb Adrienne wrote: "This is the fist time I have seen the term "Lad-Lit!" I like it! We should all adopt it and hope a genre grows around it."
Lad Lit is a polite British phrase to substitute for the less rhyming term for authors like: Nick Hornby or Tony Parsons or Mike Gayle or early Tom Perrotta. Of the genre Gayle's my favorite.

Chris W Yeah I enjoyed this book, and its really awesome to have a male POV.