Marcy's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Feb 06, 2011

it was ok
Read in February, 2011

As a "Western" mother, I have valued the "passions" and "choices" of my children, even if I did not agree. I saw other parents proud of their children when one played an exquisite piano piece, a violin piece, or scored multiple baskets to win a basketball game. At times, I wished I had been more strict with my children, and been more consistent with rules. But after reading this book, had I been the "Tiger Mother," both of my children would have left our home, never to come back. I'm not sure Amy Chua is a typical Chinese mother. I'm not sure that every Chinese mother has to be so overbearing, needing to be the "winner" over her children, forcing them to practice, even on a family vacation. Amy Chua underestimated her willful thirteen year old. I'm glad LuLu lashed out. Being called "garbage," living with threats, rejecting a hand-made birthday card because it wasn't detailed enough, making an issue when LuLu did not want to eat caviar in Russia... Good for LuLu for sticking up for herself! I would love to get Jed's side of the story. The brilliant Amy he married became a dictator as a mother. I sense that Amy underestimates, or doesn't even realize how he felt as he witnessed his wife berating her children. Even Amy's parents tried to put a stop to their daughter's torture. Amy seems proud that she is known as the "tiger mother." I was ashamed for the children reading this book. I don't claim to be the best mother, not even second best, but this kind of parenting leaves me numb.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Right on, Marcy! I haven't read the book, but what I've read about it gives me chills.