Jennifer's Reviews > The Midnight Charter

Feb 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, first-reads
Read from February 06 to March 25, 2011

Finally!! It took me over 2 months to read the book because I just didn’t want to pick it up and just decided to get it over with yesterday! I sort of won this book in a Goodreads giveaway! I won the second book in the trilogy “Children of the Lost” and was more than happy when they sent me the wrong book, which was the first in the series.

Reading that this book was for middle grade kids I thought it would be fun and easy to read. It was so BORING, but the last 1/4 of the book finally got kinda good :) I tried to like the book, but the story always felt so pointless and that there wasn’t much to it. I never really liked the characters or felt any connection to them.

The ideas in the book were interesting. A corrupt, dystopian type society that is based on trade and no charity. The Secret Society and the prophecy of the Midnight Charter and the contrasting main characters who start with nothing and the different choices they make when given more opportunity.

So overall it has some interesting concepts but never developed into a good story. I don’t see how it would keep a kid interested. I gave it 2 stars though because it ended better than it started and I was finally sent “Children of the Lost” and I’m not quite as bummed about reading it. I will try to give it more of a chance :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Charter.

02/06/2011 page 25
7.0% "Won this on Goodreads!! I actually won the second in the series and was sent the first, but that works for me!"
02/09/2011 page 36
10.0% "Only 10 more pages! It's gonna take forever! Boring so far for a kids book." 4 comments
03/02/2011 page 36
10.0% "Alright, I should really try to read this especially since I finally received the right book in the mail from the giveaway! And I'm only 36 pages into it :)"
03/04/2011 page 100
28.0% "So it isn't that horrible, but I'm still not really pulled into the story yet. I think there's just other books I'd rather be reading and this one just doesn't have a chance :)"
03/18/2011 page 120
34.0% "Someday I'll finish this!"
03/24/2011 page 204
58.0% "Still not that great, but makin progress!"
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Yea! You finished!

Jennifer lol... it goes quick when you start skimming some ;)