Nance's Reviews > The Day the Falls Stood Still

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Feb 06, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, books-read-2011, tearjerkers, 10-best-books-of-2011, all-time-favorite-romantic-reads
Read from February 10 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

A mesmerizingly beautiful love story told by Cathy Marie Buchanan...her first novel written to date. Bess Heath is a 17-year-old young woman who is a student at the elite Loretto Academy. As she is journeying home for the summer, unknown to her are the facts that her father has lost his job at the Niagara Power Company, her mother has taken on the task of working as a seamstress for her wealthy friends, and her sister has lost that scintillating beauty and free-spirit that she has always possessed. While being accompanied home never to return to the academy again by her mother, a young man asks if he can carry her extremely heavy trunk while waiting on the platform of a trolley. Bess is totally capitivated with the handsome green-eyed young man, Tom Cole, who carries himself with confidence and masculine energy. Regrettably, the Heath family has a certain social class that they belong to, which Tom is not a part of. He is a riverman that rescues "floaters" and daredevils from the river...which Mrs. Heath does not approve of. Eventually the pair fall in love and marry, whereby Bess disappoints her family. In the end, Mrs. Heath accepts Tom...even saying that he is a "good man". Their relationship through the years grows into a love so powerful and courageous while dealing with WWI, suicide, women working during the war, and having a family of their own. The story also undertakes the task of delivering the voices of opposition towards the power companies using the falls for hydroelectric power and in return destroying the environment. As the end of the novel neared, I was anticipating a happy ending, which unfortunately had me tearfully saddened with an unexpected death.The beautifully written words just flowed like the rippling of water cascading over the effervescent falls pooling into the infinite core of the Niagara River. The best read for me so far this year with thoughts still lingering hours after I have read the final word. A terrific first novel, which will have me on the lookout for the next undertaking of Ms. Buchanan. A novel not to be missed that would make for an outstanding movie!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day the Falls Stood Still.

02/10/2011 page 65