Dana's Reviews > Pale Demon

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison

Feb 23, 2011

bookshelves: comedy, demons, fantasy-epic, fantasy-paranormal, fantasy-urban, fiction-contemporary, witch-wizard-mage-sorcerer, magic, romance, shifters, vampire, favorites
Recommended to Dana by: me
Recommended for: UF, Fantasy, and all SCI-FI lovers (and anyone who loves Jim Butcher's books!)
Read on February 22, 2011 , read count: 1

I, like many others, think this installment in the series is the best. My reason for this preference is fairly specific though. It was Ivy.

Too many authors have this 'Ivy' aspect in a series and it almost, without fail, drags on too long. The "I'm not sure, but I'll keep teasing at the relationship, but won't commit, but I'll beat myself up over it, then I'll embrace it fully, then I'll mess it up, etc." thing makes me crazy! Male, female, vampire, witch, demon, or rainbow-striped zebra, the indecision over Ivy had gone on for about two books too many and I expelled one gigantic sigh of relief to see it go. Finally!

I love many of the aspects that others do. The development of Trent's character and allowing him to interact in a way that portrays him as a man with individuality was a long time in coming. He has been the 'elf drug-lord' for so many books that I was begining to despair. He was allowed to become more in this book. (At last!)

Seeing the characters outside of Cincy was also a treat. Kim herself had mentioned that she enjoyed writing about this and I can see why. A nice change, both in physical and emotional scenery.

A few people have mentioned in reviews that they felt this book moved too slow and lacked 'action'. It should be acknowledged that since the majority of 'action' in this series has centered around Rachel fighting demons, this book would inevitably have considerably less action than others. This is the book in which she comes to terms, whether forced, implied, or chosen, with her biology, and she obviously won't be fighting as many demons if she IS one. Bad form to beat up your uncle at the family reunion you know. :)

The shift in relationship with Trent is also a welcome aspect in my book as it seems a requirement for the resolution of the series. When all the 'unknowns' come to a head in the series, the chance for history to repeat itself with elves and demons waring again is high. Having a leader figure from each camp, Rachel and Trent, become one on the list of partners, lovers, friends, etc. seems a vital aspect to take the story in a different direction. (My take on future action...probably wrong but it makes me happy!)

Overall I was ridiculously pleased with this book. It was a definite 'turning of a corner' and I look forward to the new landscape we will see in book ten.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Demon.

Ashley I LOVE this series, in fact, slightly more so than the Dresden files. Maybe it's all the estrogen in my house, but I generally prefer a female lead to a male one. Moreover, I discovered Kim, long before I discovered Jim and probly would not have read Dresden were it not for The Hollows.

You make alot of great points, but I couldn't give this one 5 stars, primarily because of the end.

(view spoiler)