Sarah's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, novel, fantasy, oz

As some of you may know the 1939 movie masterpiece starring Judy Garland has been my favorite since I was very young and I've watched it almost as many times as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which I still have mostly memorized), but I haven't read the book that inspired it since I was very little. Since then I've read Wicked and Son of a Witch, those interesting retellings of the Oz world that turn our assumptions upside down.

But I digress, the books itself is one of those wonderful children's books that tells the story of a child having much wilder adventures than most children will ever have. Like Alice in Wonderland, there's a fair amount of nonesense - a talking scarecrow, tin man, and lion; a land of little people called Munchkins; a land where witches and wizards with magical powers rule - but it all makes for a much more interesting adventure.

The movie turns the story into a sentimental tale of country girls desire to run away to a bigger place, only to discover that all she really needs is right there at home. While the sappiness is part of the reason I love the movie so much, the book hints at none of this and I'm perfectly okay with that because this version is all about adventure and contains much more of it than the movie.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.