Cara's Reviews > Hourglass

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, awesome-covers, paranormal, science-fiction, series
Recommended for: paranormal fanatics
Read in July, 2011

Yes, I was one of the people slobbering over the cover and didn't pay too much attention of what the book was really about. Then I heard two words, time travel and I had no choice but to read it of course. I'm confused with my feelings for this one. The "feelings" I have are too all over the place. I loved some of things and some things really bothered me, but I will definitely be reading the sequel Timepiece.

Emerson is a 17 year old living with her older brother and his wife. When we meet her she is recovering from her parents’ death and her time in a mental hospital, and is grasping to find some normalcy. The problem with that is she keeps seeing beings from the past, and this is where Michael Weaver comes in. Emerson's brother, Thomas, hires Michael to help her with her problem. Soon enough Emerson learns she has a deep connection with Michael and the society he works for, called the Hourglass. That turns out to know more about her than she does. Emerson feels like she can trust Michael, but then she finds out some things that cause her to ask questions. Michael is being vague and avoids answering her questions, and Emerson can tell something is up but she can’t tell what exactly. What she finds out is something huge and of enormous scope, which leaves her wondering if she may be in over her head.

All right so I think I can sum up with one line what irked me most about this book:
"Jumping between them was as smart as jumping in the middle of a cage match, but I did it anyways, putting a hand on each of their chests. Even in the heat of the moment I had to appreciate the muscle tone of both."

Now, I think this is the most cringe-worthy line of the book but there are lines similar to this peppered throughout, and I felt it kind of took away from the actual romance of the book. And of course more than one guy has to like her. *sigh* If you cannot stomach things like this you should probably steer clear. I'm pretty tolerant of these romances and it's clear from the beginning that they have a strong connection/attraction to each other. Another thing I have to gripe about is her brother who lets her get way with a lot. I am the oldest of my siblings and I would have no way accepted some of the things he did. I guess I'm old school that way, but you ask any responsible (keyword) older sibling and they'd probably tell you the same thing. I also felt like I was reading a magazine article at times because we are told what Emerson is wearing all the time. I don't actually need to know that much, but that may be just me.

Put aside all I said though because despite that I was really engrossed with this story. The plot moves along at a good pace and the story has an epic feel to it. The strength of the book is the time traveling and how that works. Towards the end of the book my stomach was literally in knots anticipating what was going to happen next. I am getting attached to characters and the idea of what is going to happen to each and every one of them, so the author can certainly write.

Bonus they actually mentioned empanadas in the book! Now for those of you who don't know it's a Hispanic dessert that is sooooo good, so yes it got kudo points just for that. So in conclusion if you are a huge fan of paranormal romances I suggest you move this up on your to-read list.

Later added: I switched my rating from 4 to 3 stars. I don't usually do this but I think I fell for the swept-off-my-feet-syndrome. Still entertaining but needed something a little more real for me to feel like it deserved the 4 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

Wendy Darling Such wildly differing opinions on this one! I guess I will just have to read it at some point. :) Great review, Cara.

Cara Thanks:D I know I felt all over the place on this review *sigh* but that was my honest reaction. It will be interesting to see what you think when you get a chance to read it.

Whitney great review, it's like you wrote my opinion :) As corny and annoying but entertaining addicting this book is, I also anticipate the release of Timepiece.

Cara I know, me too! Have you read Timepiece yet?

Whitney Not yet, I've been trying to find it online.. NetGalley doesn't have it anymore, so it looks like I'll be waiting until June 12th. You?

Cara Nah me neither. I have to wait all the time too! I'll probably read it months and months later:)

Emily "Now for those of you who don't know it's a Hispanic dessert" no its just a handpie and it is usually filled with savory things...

Cara Well it depends who you ask. I grew up with it as something desserty but you are right others put savory things in it. Just depends where you are from.