Lydia's Reviews > Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: ya-read
Read in February, 2011

In the continuing series of The Keys to the Kingdom by Nix, Arthur has a completely different experience, where his family is not only again in mortal danger, but also the girl he met in the first book, Leaf. Commanded into the army for 100 years, Arthur is forced to serve under a different name. Meanwhile Leaf is attempting to thwart a danger from an initially unknown force, back on earth, that has not only Arthur's family but also her own family in a grip that reeks of sorcery. Don't forget the everpresent Suzy. And is there something about Dame Primus?

The excellent writing of Nix continues. One thing I notice is that not every conflict leads to action. That is, there are some potential problems/conflicts that never come to fruition. This technique really contributes to the anticipation of the reader. I find this writing technique particularly attractive for YA readers of fantasy. Most often writers are told to not introduce a conflict without letting it lead somewhere (similar to the idea in mystery where if you see a gun, it best be used somewhere in the story).

Thursday seems to be the "god" of war. The army analogy is there; the concept of learning something until the behavior becomes automatic (reminding me of my Marine Corps trained spouse). Therein, lies the inner conflict for every soldier -- should I just obey orders or should I think and determine if I believe the orders are right/wrong and act out of my own sense of morality. Both issues are addressed in this book.

For me, we now have the concept of morality and values, and this plays into my concept of this novel being an analogy to religion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sir Thursday.