Laura's Reviews > True Grit

True Grit by Charles Portis

Mar 18, 11

Read from March 10 to 18, 2011

Reading this book was pretty much like reading the script for the movie True Grit. Usually it seems like movies based on books are quite a bit different(or very shortened at least), but it was crazy how similar the book was to the movie.

In one of the book reviews, someone compared Mattie Ross to Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn and I can definitely see that. The story is told from her perspective, and she's smart, brave and pretty stubborn. One of my favorite parts is when she tricks the stocktrader into buying back her father's ponies at a pretty high price, paying her for a horse that a robber stole...and then the next day even buying back one of the ponies at a lower price. It's an interesting story filled with murder, gun fights, a couple gory deaths, a train robbery - there was a lot of action for only 200 pages! I also loved the bickering between Rooster and the cocky Texas Ranger LaBoeuf (which is pronounced La-Beef and is a great name).

I'm not really into this style of book but enjoyed the movie and also liked this read! (Plus it was a quick read, which is always a plus.)

My one negative: the cover art scared me. It was a drawing of a scary looking girl that kind of looked like it was drawn by a 10-year-old. The eyes of that girl still haunt me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Grit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Is this a movie too?

Laura Yeah, Brian & I went to see it on New Years & really liked it. It has Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. Never really read a Western before, but I might give this one a try. (Well, I did read & love Half Broke Horses a couple months ago and that was kind of a Western...)