Allison's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Feb 06, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, galley, adult
Read in February, 2011

Corey says in an interview in the back that this book isn't hard sci-fi, but science, futuristic technology, and space travel are all at the core of this novel, so to me it certainly had that flavor. I haven't read a good, true sci-fi book in a while so this was definitely welcome. I really enjoyed the characters. Though they were a little bit cookie-cutter at times (the righteous captain versus the cynical police detective) they both had flaws and were forced to make choices that made them much more interesting than their stereotypes. The mystery and the plot take us all over the Asteroid belt and gives a thoughtful look at what it would be like to live in an environment where even your air has to be shipped in from somewhere else.

My blurb for a shelftalker:
For fans of gritty science fiction, this is a new series to watch. In a future where humans inhabit Mars, the Asteroid Belt, and even the moons of the gas giants, a police detective and a ship's lieutenant get caught up in a dark mystery that not only starts an interplanetary war, but also hints at a threat greater than mankind has ever known. Add a dash of noir and a bit of horror and you get a truly gripping read.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.