Jason's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

May 20, 2014

bookshelves: dead-tree-edition, for-kindle, 2011, reviewed
Read in May, 2011

A disturbingly comedic (or comically disturbing?) satire of the inevitability of war, the age old fate vs. free will argument, and the gross desensitization of death, Slaughterhouse-Five analyzes the effects of the Bombing of Dresden on World War II veteran Billy Pilgrim. Told in a nonlinear narrative that is common for Vonnegut, this novel employs the rare literary device I like to call “Twilight Zone–ish extraterrestrialism,” which serves to highlight both the absurdity of free will as well as Pilgrim’s sense of temporal confusion resulting from his experiences with war. So it goes.
72 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Quotes Jason Liked

Kurt Vonnegut
“It is just an illusion here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone, it is gone forever.”
Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Kate LaClair Love this book, and love teaching it!

Jason I loved it, too, Kate. I think you could do some serious justice to a review of this, hint hint. :D

Richard Derus Nice review...concise, complete. Like that in a review.

Jason You just say that cuz you're getting too lazy to read the long ones, Richard. :)

Richard Derus Jason wrote: "You just say that cuz you're getting too lazy to read the long ones, Richard. :)"

Heh. At least I'm not to lazy to spell correctly.

;-P~~~

Jonathan Richard wrote: "Jason wrote: "You just say that cuz you're getting too lazy to read the long ones, Richard. :)"

Heh. At least I'm not to lazy to spell correctly.

;-P~~~"

Ah but your choice of punctuation might need work there :p

Richard Derus LOL

You noticed before Jason!

Jonathan Haha I have a habit of automatically trying to correct grammar and punctuation which backfires when I stuff up. Particularly around fellow Grammar Nazis...

But yes I had to stop and read the review and accompanying comments here.

Richard Derus I just thought it was funny to leave a misspelling in the post...Grammar Nazi humour...

Jonathan I assumed as much at first.

Jason Haha, nice catch Jonathan!

René I am physically incapable of encountering the expression "So it goes" without plunging into memories of that book.

Steve You've been doing very well with your Vonnegut lately, Jason. This one is canonical. Or is it? (Oh wait, that was your other review. So it goes, I guess.)

Jason I went through a bit of a Vonnegut binge and I'm almost ready for Round 2.

Close game tonight, Steve, but 4–3 Boston. :)

Julia Batalla Jason wrote: "I went through a bit of a Vonnegut binge and I'm almost ready for Round 2.

Close game tonight, Steve, but 4–3 Boston. :)"

The rubber game is just about to begin. If the Cubs lose, they'll be right at their season average -- 1 win out of every 3. Despite the statistical likelihood, I hope your kids didn't guarantee you a Sox victory for Fathers' Day.

Steve Oops -- my daughter was signed in without me knowing it. This last one was from me.

message 17: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Barrett Great review

Abbie Do you think Kurt Vonnegut wrote this story to persuade you to almost be "anti-war" like him and to feel sorry for Billy?

Jason I don't know if he wrote it to make people feel sorry for his character but I do think that it is an "anti-war" novel, yes.