Kate's Reviews > The Debutante

The Debutante by Kathleen Tessaro

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: fluff
Read in February, 2011

I picked this book up as a lunchtime read, and after one sitting, decided I was going to return it. And yet, after it sat on the end of my desk, I kept wondering about the historical situation set up in the book, so I ended up finishing it anyway.

The story is made of two narratives, one in modern London following Cate, a disillusioned young artist running from a bad situation in New York, and the other done via correspondence of a daring debutante in the early 20th century. The stories don't intersect overly much, but it's done quite tastefully, without belaboring the story.

Oftentimes, I find novelists who use the modern day setting to "solve" an older mystery, and every single loose detail must be tied up and it ends up ruining the fun of the mystery. This book knows that the reader has all the details in one place and doesn't overburden the reader with rehashing details.

Lastly, the postscript from the author shows that Tessaro has done quite a bit of research on the topic, kudos to her. I would probably pick up another of her works for another lunchtime read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Debutante.