Darcy's Reviews > A Thousand Days in Venice

A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi

Feb 06, 2011

did not like it

Ok, I tried to read this, but couldn't actually get through it without skimming. The concept for this book was cute, but De Blasi is an artless writer who still needs much help in honing her craft. The first person narrative was my first clue. Not that first person narrations can't be good (Jane Eyre!), but in my experience, a great number of second-rate writers go for the first-person narration because it's easy. I thought the characters here were flat. Obvioulsy, De Blasi knows her Italian cuisine, but I would recommend reading a cookbook if you want to know about apricot pastry or pumpkin gnocchi in cream and sage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Days in Venice.

Casey Agree. Flat uninteresting characters - hum if they're real people ... oh, nevermind. O could not get into this story at all. Am completely perplexed at how this might be considered a 'travel' book. I don't think it told me any 'travel information ' about Venice. Whatever. Was super annoyed she kept calling him 'the stranger' I suppose 'stranger' has a whole different connotation for me. The the recipies were for foods I would never consider cooking. This book was just not for me. I would rather watch Under the Tuscan Sun (sorry only saw the movie, didn't read the book) but it too was about dropping everything and moving to Italy, and was, for me anyway, far more interesting.

Darcy Casey, I also enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun. I don't think you could watch the movie or read that book without wanting to run out and purchase a one-way ticket to Italy!