Bianca St. 's Reviews > Rules of Attraction

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: favorites, book-boyfriends, there-were-tears
Recommended for: every slightly more mature YA
Read from March 09 to 10, 2011, read count: 3

I frickin' LOVE this book!!
I don't think I've EVER devoured a book like this one. I finished it in a couple of hours. In this second novel the story is told from Carlos Fuentes' - Alex's little bro; currently 17- point of view.
This book has Everything (and I mean it) you would want in a book.
I would give it 100 stars if I could.
I recommend this book to every teen or YA lover out there, although some scenes are rather more mature.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Attraction.

Quotes Bianca Liked

Simone Elkeles
“You’re dangerous,” he says.
“Why?”
“Because you make me believe in the impossible”

Simone Elkeles
“Tonight was... well, it was perfect for me too. You've turned my world upside down. I've fallen in love with you, chica, and it scares the fuckin' shit outta me. I've been shakin' all night, because I knew it.I've tried to deny it, to make you think I wanted you as a fake girlfriend, but that was a lie.”

Simone Elkeles
“Fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class - Hope your surgery went well!”

Simone Elkeles
“This is a team of gay dudes, isn't it?"
What gave it away? The pink shirts, or half our team drooling over you?”

Simone Elkeles
“Look at me, chica." When she does, I repeat, "Eres hermosa."
"What does it mean?"
"You're beautiful.”

Simone Elkeles
“Do you play football?' Brandon asks.
'No.'
'Baseball?'
'Nope.'
Brandon is on a roll and won't stop until he's found the answer he's looking for. 'Tennis?'
'That would be a nada'
'Then what sport do you play?'
Carlos puts down his food. Oh, no. He's got a rebellious gleam in his eye as he says, 'The horizontal tango.'
...Alex stands and says through chlenched teeth, 'Carlos let's talk. In private. Ahora.'
....Brandon turns to my dad with big, innocent eyes. 'Daddy, do you know how to do the horizontal tango?”

Simone Elkeles
“Dont ruin my balls!" She laughs as the words leave her mouth.
Better yours than mine, chica." I toss the dough balls at her, one by one, until I've got none left.”

Simone Elkeles
“Please, amigo. We need you, Kimosabe, O Mighty Powerful One. We need you more than the earth rises in the west."
The sun rises in the east, dickhead."
Only if you're standing on the earth. If you're on the moon, the earth rises in the west.”

Simone Elkeles
“Tofu tacos are not Mexican. I think putting tofu on anything and calling it Mexican is an insult to my people.”

Simone Elkeles
“La cucaracha, La cucaracha, Ya no puede caminar, porque no tiene, porque le falta, I don't know the rest, la la la la!”

Simone Elkeles
“And while my mind is telling me I'm flirting with her just to prove a point, my body wants to play "you show me your perky privates and I'll show you mine.”

Simone Elkeles
“-You think I’ve got a big ego and an attitude problem?
-I don’t think you do, Carlos. I know it. Unfortunately, it’s a Fuentes flaw.
-I’d call it an asset. It’s what makes us Fuentes brothers irresistible.

Carlos and Brittany”

Simone Elkeles
“I'm in deep shit Alex, 'cause I think I'd like nothin' better than to wake up with her every mornin'.”

Simone Elkeles
“He’s my brother, my blood. He annoys the hell out of me most of the time, but when it comes right down to it I want to see him graduate from college and have little annoying mini-Alexes and mini-Brittanys running around in the future”

Simone Elkeles
“(Kiara sees Carlos' bleeding face)"Carlos! Oh my God, what happened?"
"You still recognize me with a busted-up face. That's a good sign, right?”

Simone Elkeles
“I find myself daydreaming about him when I wake up in the morning, in school when something reminds me of him, and when I fall asleep at night”

Simone Elkeles
“We kiss all the time." I clear my throat, then add, "We just...do it in private."
"A smug expression crosses his face. "I don't buy it for a second, 'cause if you were my girlfriend and a stud like me was livin' in your house, I'd kiss you in front of the guy every chance I got as a reminder."
"A reminder of w-w-what?"
"That you were mine.”

Simone Elkeles
“We’ve been secretly datin’ since last week.” He gives me a smile and a look that says I’m his one-and-only. That smile might deceive Madison, but I know he’s full of it.
“Isn’t that right, K.?”
He squeezes me tighter. “Uh-huh,” I squeak out.
Madison shakes her head fast, as if she can’t believe what she’s hearing. “Nobody in their right mind chooses Kiara Westford over me.”
She’s right. We’re busted.
“Wanna bet?” My eyes go wide when Carlos bends his head down to me. “Kiss me, cariño.”

“Want to make out?”
“With who?” she asks, not bothering to look up.
“Me.”
She lifts her head from her book just long enough to give me a once-over. “No, thanks,” she says, then goes back to her homework.
She’s fuckin’ with me. She’s got to be fuckin’ with me, right?
“Because of that pendejo Tuck?”
“No. Because I don’t want Madison’s leftovers.”
Wait. Un. Momento. I’ve been called a lot of things before, but . . .
“You callin’ me leftovers?”
“Yeah. Besides, Tuck is a great kisser. I wouldn’t want you to feel bad when there’s no way you can compete.”
That guy hardly owns a pair of lips. “Wanna bet?”

Simone Elkeles
“What’s goin’ on?” I ask as I take a seat.
“Obviously not this.” He tosses me my shirt from last night.
“I found it on the floor of the den. It’s obvious there was some hanky-panky going on.”
Okay, so he knows we fooled around. But at least he didn’t find Kiara’s bra on top of my shirt.
“Yeah . . . things kinda got a little heated after you and Mrs. W. left the den last night,” I tell him.”

Simone Elkeles
“I wish I could help you" I whisper.
You are," he murmurs against my knee. "just dont leave me, okay? Everyone leaves me.”

Simone Elkeles
“Consider me your candy stripper... I mean striper.”

Simone Elkeles
“Okay, seriously, I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard people who use profanity are trying to compensate for their lack of you know... size" -Tuck”

Simone Elkeles
“If no words come, you can always give him the finger.”

Simone Elkeles
“Normal? I'm not normal enough for you?" Carlos says. "You want this guy instead? Did you notice his hair doesn't move? That's not normal. You want to date him again, go ahead. Hell, if you want to marry him and be Kiara Barra the rest of your life, be my guest."
"That's not want I--"
"I don't want to hear it. Hasta," Carlos says, ignoring me and walking away.
I feel my face heat in embarrassment as I look at Michael. "Sorry. Carlos can he abrasive sometimes."
"Don't apologize. The guy obviously has major issues and, for the record, my hair moves... when I want it to.”

“What is this?'
'A Smart Car'
It looked like an SUV took a dump and out came the Smart Car”

Simone Elkeles
“You know about fixing cars, you're athletic, and you know when to shut up."
"That last one isn't a skill."
"Honey, trust me. It's a skill.”

Simone Elkeles
“Hey, Carlos," the Professor says when he walks in. "How was REACH?"
"It sucked."
"Can you be more specific?" my guardian asks.
"It really sucked," I elaborate, sarcasm dripping from every word.”

“dear kiara,
The women in the shop told me that yellow rose represents friendship and red rose shows love. And the rosery is the only thing i own that i care for, its yours
i'm yours
C”

Simone Elkeles
“Oh, and just so you know, before we go out to the field we all get into a huddle and yell 'Go Queers!' really loud.”

Simone Elkeles
“It's pure instinct that makes me rebel every time someone tries to control my life and hand out more rules.”

Simone Elkeles
“Dios mio, I think my brother lost his balls somewhere between here and Mexico. Or maybe Brittany has them zipped inside that fancy purse (of hers).”

Simone Elkeles
“Tell me somethin’ you do that would shock me.”
She sits back on the couch. “Shock you?”
“Yeah. Shock me to the core.”
She sits up on her knees and leans toward me. “I’ve thought about you, Carlos,” she whispers in my ear.
“At night, in bed. I think about kissing you, our tongues sliding against each other’s, while your hands are buried in my hair. When I think about feeling those ripples in
your naked chest I touch my—”
“Here’s more popcorn!” Westford says, barging into the room with two big bowls filled to the
rim with freshly popped popcorn. “Kiara, what are you doing?”

Simone Elkeles
“I start to walk out of the room, but I hear him start to panic and his breathing gets labored. He reaches out to me.
“Don’t go. Please.”
I sit next to him on the bed, wondering if he’s afraid of being abandoned. He slings his arm around my thigh and rests his forehead against my knee. “I have to protect you,” he says softly.
“From who?”
“El Diablo.”
“El Diablo? Who’s that?” I ask.
“It’s complicated.”
What does that mean? “Try to rest,” I tell him.
“I can’t. My entire body hurts.”
“I know.” I gently rub the arm that’s slung around me until his breathing slows.
“I wish I could help you,” I whisper.
“You are,” he murmurs against my knee. “Just don’t leave me, okay? Everyone leaves me.”

Simone Elkeles
“Thing is, I don't like ties. I like to win....by big margins.”

Simone Elkeles
“When Alex leaves a little later, Carlos steps forward. “Need help?”
I shake my head.
“Are you ever gonna talk to me again? Dammit, Kiara, enough with the silent treatment. I’d rather have you say your little two-word sentences than stop talkin’ altogether. Hell, just flip
me off again.”
I toss my backpack in the backseat and start the engine.
“Where are you goin’?” Carlos asks, stepping in front of my car.
I beep.
“I’m not movin’,” he says.
My response is another beep. It’s not an intimidating, deep beep like most cars, but it’s the best my car can give.
He places both hands on the hood.
“Move,” I say.
He moves all right. With pantherlike quickness, Carlos jumps through the open passenger window, feet first.
“You should get the door fixed,” he says.”

Simone Elkeles
“Can I request another peer guide, One who isn't so happy to be at school at 7:30 a.m.?”