Res's Reviews > The Convenient Marriage

Feb 05, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2008

The one where the notorious rake Lord Rule decides to marry the pretty Winwood sister, but the reckless one, Horatia, persuades him to marry her instead. She gambles; her brother Pelham gambles (in fact, his gambling is the reason the Winwood sisters are prepared to marry Rule to begin with); hijinks ensue.

Horatia is kind of an idiot, isn't she? I mean, a little boldness is refreshing in a Regency heroine, but Horatia seems like an eighth-grader who can be induced to do anything by being told that Mom doesn't want her to do it. It's a little creepy to think of someone so immature being married at all.

I did like Rule; he reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci, with his vagueness and his deceptive intelligence and the laziness that makes everyone underestimate him. (At one point, his sister tells him he should beat Horatia, and he says, "But think how fatiguing!")

The scene where drunken Pel and his drunken friend Pom rescue Horatia and try to figure out why she's out in the streets alone is hilarious, but by the end of the book I'd had a little too much Pel and Pom getting into scrapes.

And -- did noblemen really suck on the heads of their canes? She mentions this twice, and it sounds unhygienic, not to mention really strange-looking.

Oh, and if you're looking to buy a copy, don't get the paperback edition with the foreword by Jo Beverley; it's full of typos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Convenient Marriage.

02/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mauri (new)

Mauri "But think how fatiguing!"

I probably shouldn't find that as funny as I do. Also...Pel and Pom? Really?

message 2: by Res (new) - rated it 2 stars

Res Pelham is the brother's name. Or possibly his title; anyhow, what everyone calls him. Pomeroy is his friend's name (or possibly etc.).

Marie LOL I have not finished this yet.. it reads a little slower then a usual Heyer, but one can't help but smile at the various hijinks. And I caught the first comment about sucking on the cane.. LOL.. I had to stop and think about that one too!! I haven't gotten to a second mention of sucking on a cane yet.. Now I have another one to look forward to! So funny! Thanks for the review!

Aileen Yeah i agree - the heroine is really irritating. Love the eighth grader comment!!

Janet I completely agree! It took me twice as long to finish because the heroine was just too childish. I loved the hero and he was probably the only reason I decided to stick through it. Thanks for the wonderful review!

message 6: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Lim I'm just enjoying reading all the comments here...sounds like a comedic read to me...lol

Cathy You nailed it! Your review was funnier than the book!

message 8: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat C. I liked your review of this book better than the book itself. To be fair, i read it during a convalescence and it was after reading a string of Georgette Heyer's wonderful Regency romances so my expectations were pretty high.