Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Dragon Bound

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Dragon Bound was an awesome book. I loved just about everything about it. I'm not even going to pretend that my favorite element wasn't Dragos, 'cause it was! I have an unnatural attraction to possessive, jealous, stalkerific heroes who are scary as heck, and Dragos is going on my list of favorite heroes of this type. I liked that although Pia started out as a thief who dared to steal from him, she became his own personal hoard. He acted like a dragon of old, used to having his way in all things. Even though he came on kind of strong, it was clear that he wouldn't do anything to hurt Pia. He cared enough to make sure that Pia was happy! He brushed her hair all the time! He was actually a softie underneath all that hard scaly dragon armor! Ms. Harrison knows how to write this kind of hero very well!

Dragos is like a Harlequin Presents hero done well (with an intensity times one hundred). He is unbelievably wealthy, prominent and gorgeous. He is also immensely powerful. And he was done so well, there was never that incredulity factor where I have this sarcastic cheerleader moment in my head: "Yay, he is so awesome!" (rolls eyes). Dragos truly was awesome! Sick girl that I was, I liked that even though Pia found him hot and fell in love with him, she could still see he was a scary guy. Who doesn't like a guy who would give you the world, but he could also slaughter a whole army of enemies for you? Who's so jealous, he doesn't even like his crew touching you? (PSA awareness moment: Not okay in real life, but I like it in books. So shoot me!)

I thought the world-building was really good. I loved the fact that this book has a strong fantasy element, equal to the romance. It wasn't just a backdrop for paranormal loving (which was verra nice, mind you). There was a lot of thought put into creating this world in which humans live alongside Wyr (shapeshifters) and Faerie folk of all kinds, and old magic is alive and well in this world, and into the adjacent magic realms. It seemed eminently plausible that one of the most powerful economic figures could be an ancient dragon. Don't I wish?

Dragos is an awesome hero, and Pia is an equally awesome heroine. She is gutsy, intelligent, funny, and sweet. She never gave me the urge to ignore her and focus on the hero because I didn't like her. I loved her a lot. I could see myself having similar reactions to the strange circumstances she faces. I loved how utterly fearless (although inwardly quaking) she was when faced with the very scary Dragos, and especially at the end when she finds herself in a very rough situation. I loved her self-deprecating, humorous way of looking at the world, very down to earth and resourceful. I loved her secret heritage, and how Dragos cherished that part of her, and all parts of her. I felt tears brimming when she discovers what she truly is. (You have to understand that I was the little girl who was in love with Pegasus, Unicorns, and all mythical creatures. It was a sweet moment for this little girl who has never truly grown up inside).

I loved Dragos' crew, especially Graydon (who reminded me of Butch from the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward), and Tricks (a very hip elf who works as Dragos' PR rep and happens to be the true heir to Throne of the Dark Fae). How cool was it that his sentinels consisted of four gryphons and a tough female Harpy (she reminded me of my girl Xhex from the Black Dagger books). It was funny how Dragos came to life when Pia came around, and seeing how his crew reacted to the new Dragos.

I don't think my review can really add anything because there are some great reviews out there of this book. I really did love everything about it. It was just hip enough (but not annoyingly so), the story and the fantasy elements were fantastic, there were many laugh out loud moments (this book was really funny), and some poignant moments. I loved the relationship between Pia and Dragos, and how they had to work at some things, but they weren't going to give up on being together. (view spoiler)

I know I want to hug this book tight to my book-loving heart. I will put this out on my favorites shelf for a frequent reread. I can't wait to see what Ms. Harrison does in the next Elder Races books. She has a fan in me!

My friends who said I would love this were right. High five!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Thea Harrison
“I am cursed with a terminal case of curiosity," he said. "I am jealous, selfish, acquisitive, territorial and possessive. I have a terrible temper, and I know I can be a cruel son of a bitch." He cocked his head. "I used to eat people, you know.”

Thea Harrison
“A dragon just gave me a piece of jewelry,” she said. She took another swig and handed the bottle back to Graydon. “Have I been added to his hoard?”

He shook his head and drank too. “No, cupcake,” he said. “I’m pretty sure you’ve replaced it.”

Thea Harrison
I’m sorry, the message said.
The theft was a violation of privacy. It was an unbelievable act of impudence and disrespect. Not only that, it was—baffling. He was murderous, incandescent with fury. He was older than sin and could not remember when he had last been in such a rage.
He looked at the paper again.
I’m sorry I had to take your penny. Here’s another to replace it.
Yep, that’s what it said.
One corner of his mouth twitched. He gave himself a deep shock when he burst into an explosive guffaw.”

Thea Harrison
“He stared at her neck. Realization pulsed. He was looking at the bite he had given her. A hard length was growing against her hip. “So, is that your long, scaly, reptilian tail, or are you just happy to see me?” No, she did not just say that. Did she?”

Thea Harrison
“I think you’re my hero,' she said. Only half-kidding.
He stared at her, the picture of incredulity. 'Most people,' he said, 'think I am a very bad man.'
She studied his eyes to try to find out if that bothered him. He didn’t seem bothered by them. He seemed discomfited by her. 'Well,' she said at last, 'maybe you’re a very good dragon.”

Thea Harrison
“Oh my God, not only is he older than the Grand Canyon, but he’s like the pope and the Fae King and the president of the United States all rolled up into one. To some ancient cultures he had been a god.

He was going to hurt her so bad before he killed her so dead, and all she could think of was how hot his kiss had been in the dream and how delicate the touch of his finger was as it traced down her body.”

Thea Harrison
“I have learned so many things over the long years," he whispered..."I've taken tribute from sovereigns and witnessed the end of empires. But you are my best teacher.”

Thea Harrison
“He kissed the palm of her hand. "It means, you stupid woman, that I am learning too. Now you listen to me. I never stop thinking about you. You're with me everywhere I go but I miss you when we're apart. I've already shown that I will kill for you. I would also die for you. You make me laugh. You make me happy. You're my miracle and my home...I will always come for you, always want you, and always need you. We clear?"

She had begun to glow. "Sounds a lot love love to me.”

Thea Harrison
“I am not a piece of property, damn it!"
"But you are in my possession."
She enunciated, "I think you are a lunatic."
"Since you are too, that works well enough." His mouth curled into a smile.”

06/15/2011 page 312
100.0% "I loved it!"

Comments (showing 34-83)

Shawna This was such an amazing read, Danielle! I can't wait to hear what you think about it! *hugs*

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad to hear it. I hope to pick it up soon when I am able to! Hugs back to you!

message 81: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph I think you're going to love this one, too. I've read it twice more since the first time. :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Wow! That's a good sign. I picked up a copy last weekend, but I'm trying to get my review books read and I have to work this weekend. Maybe I'll get to start it next week, I hope!

message 79: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph :D Let me know how you like it.

EeeJay Did you know this is Amanda Carpenter - the HP author who wrote Waking Up - the book I LURVE!?!?!

message 77: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Jun 10, 2011 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) EeeJay, someone told me it was her. I had wanted to read it anyway, but I was esp. jazzed when I found that out.

MrsJ, I will. Turns out I'm taking next week off. I will read it then!

message 76: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Yaaaaay! Then you can join me in waiting impatiently for the next book. :D

Erika  Badass Hope it lives up to the hype for you!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm off this week, so I intend to enjoy reading this book!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana good reaview, i Loved the psa part. I believe there is a distinct difference between reality and the literary world of romance :0 best not to merge them in all ways. ^_^

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Taiyesha! I like my fantasy very different from reality. :)

message 70: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Loved it too! :P

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I think we both liked the uber-alpha hero, Zeek. :)

message 68: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek lol! Yep we sure do! ^ ^

Alyssa  *Tyrahnny* I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that when you said :

But you really convinced me when you said one of the characters remind you of Xhex :) And let's not forget Butch :p

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I think you'll like this one, Alyssa!

Alyssa  *Tyrahnny* I'm ordering it right now :)

Alyssa  *Tyrahnny* You have others recommendation for me ???

Shawna YAY! High five and hugs, Danielle! I knew you'd love it! Awesome review! I can't wait for the next book in the series, but I'm especially anxious for Graydon's story.

message 62: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Jun 17, 2011 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) You can check out my stalkerific hero shelf, Alyssa. :)

Thanks, Shawna! You were right! I love Graydon. Can't wait to read his story!

message 61: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Dr D!

Lady of the Lake WOWZERS! All that with only a 312ph book! Terrific!

Lady of the Lake Hahaha good to know! I value your opinion so I just downloaded this you make is sound fantastic! How could it not be when There is a stalkerific hero AND a unicorn!!! U can't beat that with a stick!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Exactly! Thea Harrison knows the way to a girl's heart!

SheLove2Read Oh squee! I've been putting this off but I know now what I'm reading next!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I can't wait to see what you think of Dragos, Sherri!

SheLove2Read If he's as alpha/gamma as you describe, I'm sure I'll love him! Starting it today.

message 52: by Wendy (last edited Jun 20, 2011 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Awesome review Danielle! I love this book too!

MelissaB Great review D! Loved this one too, I already reread it once.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Melissa. I have the urge to reread this soon.

message 48: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Yaaaaay!!! I'm so glad you liked it!! I read it again this weekend!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Wow. I can't keep up with you girls!

Vashti Danielle, glad you loved this book as I ABSO LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! can't wait for the next in this series and all the rest to follow.Liked your review by the way.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Vashti! Glad you enjoyed it too!

message 44: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Great review. And who can't love a man who brushes your hair?...

message 42: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully This author is Amanda Carpenter? Really?

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "This author is Amanda Carpenter? Really?"

Cool! This one was really good Agent Scully.

message 40: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I'm tempted! Is it heavy on the world building and fantastical creatures Melissa?

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "I'm tempted! Is it heavy on the world building and fantastical creatures Melissa?"

Hmmm. Well, I think you would love Dragos (alpha!) and I would say the story is character driven. There are some cool fantasy parts but I think you wouldn't mind it. Does this help?

message 38: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Thanks Melissa! We'll see.

Vashti You will def love this book Agent Scully

Alyssa  *Tyrahnny* Damn Post office in Canada for being in strike right now ! I'll have to wait an eternity before receiving the copy I ordered and with all your comments this
is torture because it sound so goooooooood !

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That's too bad, Alyssa. You'll get to read it soon.

message 34: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Alyssa *Tyrahnny* wrote: "Damn Post office in Canada for being in strike right now !..."

Sing it sistah! I'm still waiting for used books I ordered weeks ago. ***grinds teeth***

« previous 1