Martha Davis's Reviews > Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing by Kathy Cano-Murillo

Mar 17, 11

Read from March 04 to 09, 2011

You know what I hate about really good characters in novels? I hate I can’t go hang out with them and be their best buddies. It’s true for Neighbor Dorothy from Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg, it’s true for Maisie Dobss, it’s true of the Waverly sisters from Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, and it’s true of Miss Scarlet Santana. I want to go out for drinks and dancing then go home and make something shiny and sparkly and I’m not a shiny, sparkly kind of girl. There’s just something about Miss Scarlet that makes you think glitter is a good idea.

Miss Scarlet (named after the character from the game Clue not, surprisingly Scarlet O’Hara) is a charming, vivacious woman who knows what she wants out of life. She willing gives up a high paying engineering career for a life of happiness in fashion.

The story is just delightful. I wasn’t sure about using that word but really there is no other word that suits as well.It’s just delightful. It has so much of what I love in a novel. There’s old Hollywood mystique, fashion, friendship, romance, and even a little mystery. This is a perfect novel to read if you just want to be happy and maybe be inspired to be a little crafty.

It may take you a little bit to get used to the writing style. Kathy (I”m going to call her Kathy because it seems to be she’s just that kind of gal) has a quirky, funky voice that just captures the feeling of this book. Santana’s Blog entry as such fun and are actually inspiring with her idea’s little ways to make your life sparkly, glittery, and generally happy.

There’s also a great group of women who are Santana’s friends. From the uptight Mary Theresa and her need to loosen up to save her marriage to the wonderful Olivia, or should I say Oh-Live-Yah! who is reclaiming her life after her marriage fell apart, and then there’s the mysterious, wise Rosa who will show Scarlet what is really important.

The other star of this story is the fictional Hollywood designer Daisy de la Flora. Inspired by Carmen Miranda, Daisy goes to New York to become the designer she knows she can be. After years of worship Santana will find out the real story of Daisy and learn more about herself.

The ending ties everything up in a nice pretty frock, which is just what I was looking for. As far as happy endings go, this was a good one and one of the reasons I found the book so delightful.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing.