Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > The Education of Hailey Kendrick

The Education of Hailey Kendrick by Eileen Cook

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: canadian, my-books, signed-copy, young-adult
Read on February 08, 2011 — I own a copy

I found this to be a quick, but very enjoyable, read. Hailey is a likable character: she’s popular and wants to be liked, but she’s not a brat. I appreciated how she was generally a nice girl and wanted to do the right thing. Normally this is a good thing, but this good intention of Hailey's has spun out of control. Hailey wants to impress her absent Dad so badly that she tries too hard to be perfect, something which just isn’t possible. With this in mind, the book shares a great lesson that, metaphorically, it’s okay to colour outside the lines every once in a while.

I liked that none of the characters in the novel were cliches. It was refreshing that while Drew helps Hailey realize things about herself, he’s not that typical Guru character. He might recognize things about Hailey, but Hailey works things out for herself, learning through making mistakes. The romance subplot is cute, but it’s just that: a subplot. While romantic entanglements make up the backbone of the story, the book isn’t about boys, and in this case that’s a good thing. This is a strong book about a girl educating herself, learning how to stand up for herself and be who she really wants to be. Overall, I would highly recommend this modern day Scarlett Letter-inspired tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Education of Hailey Kendrick.

02/08/2011 page 108
40.0% "Really good so far; I like Hailey"