Garth Bishop's Reviews > The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy

The War for Late Night by Bill  Carter

Aug 28, 2014

bookshelves: borrowed-from-epl, non-fiction, mymap
Read from February 05 to 14, 2011

The thing keeping me from giving this a 5-star rating is that Carter doesn't tell us what he thinks. That said, if I had to guess, he had other people say what he thinks: that Conan took it overboard by looking at The Tonight Show as a calling & dream, rather than a job.

This is a great piece of reporting; I plan to try to read more of what Bill Carter writes. And anyone who reads this book should definitely be aware of who he talks about in the acknowledgments. Unlike the vast majority of stories like this one, all of the principals talked, as did everyone on their respective sides, and everyone of note peripheral to the story, including Seinfeld, Lorne Michaels and the other late night hosts.

If you think you know the whole story (and lets face it... if you're reading this on a social networking site, you're probably staunchly pro-Conan), you definitely do not. I love Conan and was very much behind him through this whole thing, but this book puts the situation into a context that is not so black and white.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War for Late Night.

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Grabia Carter is also buddies with Leno.

Garth Bishop Andy wrote: "Carter is also buddies with Leno."

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. There was little of the Machiavellian Leno that I was expecting.