Eric Thomasma's Reviews > The Dark Path

The Dark Path by Luke Romyn

Feb 19, 11

Read from February 05 to 13, 2011

Let me state for the record that this is not my genre. I usually avoid the horror aisle in the bookstore and I don't like horror movies. I even feel cheated when I go to a sci-fi movie that is actually horror with sci-fi elements. I bought this book because I enjoy the author's interactions on Twitter and wanted to support his writing. I knew that The Dark Path has won awards and that fans of the genre had praised it highly. But, as I said, I don't like horror.

But I loved The Dark Path. I was quickly drawn into the story and couldn't put it down. If it weren't for real life interruptions, I would have been lost in Vain's world for the duration. Vain is not the sort of person you want to identify with. He is both feared and revered, but mostly just feared. The life events that created Vain are horrific, and give real insight into how he came to be. Those insights set the stage for the journey he makes and helps the reader understand why he does what he does, both before and after meeting the mysterious Priest, even if Vain doesn't always understand it himself.

Now, don't be deceived, this is indeed a horror story with plenty of blood, gore, and horrific acts, and this is what normally keeps me away from the horror genre. I seldom think they add anything to the story being told, but in The Dark Path, these events come across as almost reluctantly shared. Not the reason for telling the story, but simply a necessary element for understanding it.

I highly recommend The Dark Path for adults who enjoy a great story, well told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Path.

02/11/2011