John's Reviews > Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit

Forgotten God by Francis Chan

Feb 05, 2011

Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
Francis Chan is on a mission to change Western Christianity.

Not a mission to make us better informed, or more culturally relevant, or even more doctrinally correct.

He is on a mission for us to walk with the "Forgotten God," the Holy Spirit. He calls the Holy Spirit such because he affirms that although we say we know and walk with Him, our lives testify otherwise:

"The light of the American church is flickering and nearly extinguished, having largely sold out to the kingdoms and values of this world."

"When was the last time you were saddened because your sin pained the Holy Spirit?"

"Has anyone ever been amazed by your peace? Love? Joy? Have they ever envied your self-control? Have you ever prayed that God would so fill you with the Spirit that people would know that the change could only be empowered by the Spirit?"

So this is not a book on doctrine or strategies. It's a desperate cry for us to look at ourselves, see how lost we are living in our own strength while giving lip service to God, and repent and turn to Him.

Yes, Chan desires that we come to know and walk with the Spirit in an intimate & powerful way, but he is careful to state that this is not to be an end unto itself: the Holy Spirit is not at our disposal, but we should be at His. Chan sees the Holy Spirit not as the key to "your best life now," but to a lifestyle that promises to be "radical and terrifying," one that brings not comfort to ourselves, but glory to God.

In a way, this book is the next step beyond his first book, Crazy Love. In it, Chan urged us toward lives that were obsessed with God & His Kingdom. Now in Forgotten God he shows us the only way to do it: through the God Who lives in us.

There is no Christian who does not need to read this book. It has my highest recommendation.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten God.