Brooke's Reviews > Gideon's Sword

Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, thriller
Read on March 12, 2011

I'd hoped that spending some time away from Pendergast would revitalize Preston & Child, but unfortunately, this debut in their new series was just as snoozey as the last Pendergast novel. Eli Glinn, who previously appeared in the writing duo's Ice Limit and other books, hires Gideon Crew to work a job. Gideon reminded me a bit of the television show White Collar's Neal Caffrey - he apparently robs art museums, likes to wear disguises, and has some legitimate job that is referred to a few times but doesn't actually seem to require his attention. Supposedly all of these things make him the perfect person to track down something smuggled into the country, but the book never quite convinced me that Gideon was chosen for any good reason, especially when Eli Glinn's company has as many resources as they do. Manuel Garza, Glinn's familiar right-hand man, also expresses these doubts, and there's some throwaway lines at the end of the book explaining Glinn's reasoning, but it all seems more than a bit ridiculous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon's Sword.