David Anthony's Reviews > One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

Feb 05, 11

In 1960, Dr. Seuss wrote the words One fish two fish red fish blue fish for the book of the same name. In 2009, Charlie and I wrote One bear, two bear. Bite bear, chew bear. in Heroes A²Z #8: Holiday Holdup. Coincidence? Not at all. Call it imitative flattery. Call it a tribute.

I grew up on Dr. Seuss. His wonderful, ridiculous stories brightened my childhood as much as they brightened the antique, polished pine bookcase in the otherwise formal family room in the house where I grew up. Don’t get me wrong, I loved that house. My grandfather designed it and my mother painstakingly decorated it. The family room just wasn’t used as an every day place. It was unofficially reserved for holidays, special guests, the occasional family meeting, and for my collection of colorful Dr. Seuss books. Even a decade and more after the books moved from my bedroom to the old bookcase in the family room, they remained there. Had my parents not boxed their belongings and moved after I reached adulthood, I suspect Dr. Seuss would still be lining those shelves.

That’s the effect Dr. Seuss can have on his readers: enduring fondness. The words “One fish two fish red fish blue fish” still line my mental bookshelves. I have not forgotten and I am unwilling to seek to discard them. I similarly doubt my ability to do so were I to try!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.