Samantha's Reviews > Huge

Huge by Sasha Paley

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: 10th-grade-advisory
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** April has been saving up all her money to pay to go to Wellness Canyon, which is also known as fat camp. It's the one thing she looks forward to for the coming summer, besides losing weight and going back to school skinny. Wilhelmina, whose nickname is Wil, has parents who run a fitness center and who want her to become skinny. They're ashamed of her because of her weight and are excited to see Wil at the end of the summer when she is finally thin. Wil, of course, doesn't want to go to Wellness Canyon, and plans on making other people's lives miserable. When both April and Wil get to Wellness Canyon, they're paired as roommates and immediately dislike each other. Wil is rude and obnoxious, while April is a little too giddy and constantly longs to be friends with Jessica and Marci, the two popular girls. Will April and Wil be able to get through the summer without killing each other? Will they be able to reach their goals?

This book was pretty good. I liked how it jumped between Wil and April's perspectives, but I would have liked it more if it were in first person instead of third person. I also thought the ending was a bit rushed because of how easily Wil was able to find Wellness Canyon again after Melanie and Kevin left her and April in the wilderness. I also thought it was weird how Wil would expose the secret at the dance that they both tainted Colin's protein powder with laxatives when others were listening. It was obvious that they would get caught and wasn't particularly fond of that part. Other than that, the book was really good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Huge.