cecilia's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: blue-covers
Read in January, 2009

The Awakening really blew me away, and I am all for the upcoming finale when it is released. Not overwhelming in ghosts, but I was more than satisfied with the choice appearances of Liz (one of Chloe's housemates who "went home") and other interesting souls who knew more about what was going on with supernatural powers.

Chloe and her fellow runaways - Derek, Simon, and the newly-added Tori - had a great dynamic that really took off in this sequel. What you know about them - or thought you knew - from The Summoning gets thrown into a loop, but I think a loop for the better. Their escape was not perfect. Their relationships were not perfect. They bickered as much as they tried to work together in their escape route. Call me crazy, but I smell a love triangle about to explode between Chloe, Derek, and Simon - and I hate to say that I am Derek > Simon though Simon has his awesomeness.

Since I tend to overwork my brain sometimes, I tried to figure out why I liked The Awakening better than The Summoning - and I think that the sequel acted more like the "action" part of a movie. I sat through the set-up, had my first impressions of all the characters and crazy goings-on, and now this is the good stuff where everything falls into place and/or falls apart. I assume that The Reckoning will carry on with the action and hopefully answer the many questions left unanswered.

I mentioned in my previous review that you should make sure to have both books on hand since The Summoning left you on a cliff. I stand by that recommendation, especially if you left The Summoning as unimpressed as I did. The Awakening, of course, also leaves you on a cliff - but it does not appear as deep and I am more than excited to wait for the jump that the last book is sure to deliver :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.